Menu

Further Math Memorization App Suggestions

Condessa

I just had a kid complete all of xtramath for the first time (my fifth child, oddly enough—the four oldest are still working on memorizing their math facts).  He’s only in third grade.  Is there something similar for memorizing useful math info beyond division facts?  Prime numbers, or exponents, or something?  It would be nice if it were in app form, but not necessary.

Edited by Condessa
  • Like 1

• Condessa changed the title to Further Math Memorization App Suggestions

Is there a reason why you want to continue on with memorization? Once this is mastered, I would just move on. If you are looking for something to do math wise to occupy time, perhaps Dragonbox math apps to introduce algebra or perhaps prodigy math for math practice.

• Like 1

Well, he's only eight, and he enjoys memorizing things, and it just seems useful.  Also, he can be a pest to the other kids if he finishes enough before them to get bored, and I guess I also feel a little uncomfortable dropping something off the school schedule when it is so extremely pared down already with the chaos that is our life right now.

• Like 1

Try using those other apps. Prodigy is adaptive so it will move on in skills that are mastered. It's pretty fun to play and free. If you want to have more access to other game reward features like leveling up faster and having more pets, you can get a membership. I got it though this facebook group buy. https://www.facebook.com/groups/StormsInTheSkyy

https://www.prodigygame.com/main-en/

Edited by calbear

15 hours ago, EKS said:

We found that once the facts were mostly solidified that doing mental math with larger numbers was a good use of the 5-10 minutes that we had previously devoted to fact practice.

This is great advice.  

I also think it's helpful to know the squares of 1-20 and the cubes of 1-10.  Ideally also the primes below 100- I would teach Eratosthenes Sieve method for this, and just have the kid do it over and over again.  

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Monica_in_Switzerland said:

I also think it's helpful to know the squares of 1-20 and the cubes of 1-10.  Ideally also the primes below 100...

I agree with this.  However, I'd wait until the student learned about squares, cubes, and primes before encouraging them to remember them.

Another useful thing is powers of two up to 2^12.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Monica_in_Switzerland said:

This is great advice.  

I also think it's helpful to know the squares of 1-20 and the cubes of 1-10.  Ideally also the primes below 100- I would teach Eratosthenes Sieve method for this, and just have the kid do it over and over again.  

You're reminding me how many random numerical factoids I remember that most people do not 😛 . I'm a bit rusty, but I knew all the squares until 32^2 pretty recently... I still probably have most of them. And I certainly know all the cubes from 1 to 10 and the primes until 100. 

• Like 1

We are working our way through the Mathcounts Things to Know list.

So around 3rd grade, mine are memorizing primes, divisibility rules, fraction equivalents, basic geometry definitions, SI prefixes, and measurement conversions. We also memorize measurement "estimations" to help them develop intuition: an egg is about 50 grams, an egg is about 2 ounces, from New York to LA is about 2500 miles, a liter is a bit more than 4 cups, etc.

We use Anki for all our memorization. My oldest has about 8000 Anki cards that he is routinely reviewing in a whole host of subjects!

I also found this Quizlet deck of Mathcounts Must-Knows.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, wendyroo said:

We are working our way through the Mathcounts Things to Know list.

So around 3rd grade, mine are memorizing primes, divisibility rules, fraction equivalents, basic geometry definitions, SI prefixes, and measurement conversions. We also memorize measurement "estimations" to help them develop intuition: an egg is about 50 grams, an egg is about 2 ounces, from New York to LA is about 2500 miles, a liter is a bit more than 4 cups, etc.

I can't say I have the repeated decimal for 1/7th memorized, lol! And I don't know that I'd memorize combinatorics formulas without a LOT of time playing with combinatorics. 

A lot of those do seem helpful, though, although I prefer to have a lot of them come up a lot and get memorized that way. 

ETA: hmmm, I see that this sheet messed up Triangle Inequality... 

Edited by Not_a_Number