Menu

What math for bored 6yo?

Mommalongadingdong

I'm not fully homeschooling my 6yo, she's in a public 1st grade Spanish immersion program that does mostly unstructured distance learning.

She's so bored with their math, she knows how to add and subtract within 10, and do adding with regrouping. 

We were working through MUS Gamma, we're about half way through, but I have a used workbook, so halfway to about the last 1/4 are things like measurement, shapes, time, money - things I can't reproduce so the program is moot without the practice pages. Also, I.don't think my kid needs the repetition, and want a more varied, advance curriculum.

I do not want to stick with MUS, but I want to continue with math because she likes it and has the time.

We had Beast Academy and while she liked it and was able to do it, it wasn't enough practice imo, and I didn't like that it was on the computer. She also wasn't ever eager to do it like she was the the MUS. (We had the online... Are the physical texts different?)

My 10yo homeschooler is doing Teaching Textbooks. She's not mathy, and it's a treat to use the computer. I don't want to use TT for 6yo.

I've been looking at Mammoth Math, Singapore (which one omg!), TGATB, or potentially Beast Academy (if the books are different from online with more straightforward practice). All level 2 likely, she'll be bored to death with repeated +/- within 10s. She can do about 85% of each of those's placement into Level 2, her deficits are with measurement mostly, and minor things specific to each curriculum.

What do you recommend? I prefer something advanced or rigorous, she's so bored being home with her current workload, and I don't have any math for her right now. She gets concepts quickly, and I don't need anything teacher friendly, just thorough and challenging.

I haven't chosen, because a lot of threads I've read here people have said some programs aren't too thorough and frankly I just want to be told what's best for a bright, bored kid who needs something to do and has emphasis on critical thinking, number sense, and includes the math sides like measurement, time, and currency.

Thanks y'all!!! 

I have only used the physical books for Beast Academy, not the online. My understanding is that the books and the online version have different problems. However, if you are concerned that there's not enough practice for your child, that will probably still be the case with the physical books. In my experience, BA incorporates review by continuing to require the concepts in later problems. For some kids, that works really well, and for some kids, it doesn't. You've said you want more straightforward practice, but also that you don't think your kid needs repetition, so I'm not sure exactly where the "sweet spot" would be in your mind. But if you've used BA online and felt like it wasn't a good fit, you may well have the same concerns about the physical books. 

I have also used Math Mammoth for that level and like it as well. I can't compare with the other programs you mention because I haven't used them. But MM did a good job with helping my kids start to develop number sense. I don't think the problems are as engaging/challenging as the ones in BA, but it's solid conceptual instruction and plenty of practice. If you do use it, note that it's designed so that not every single problem needs to be done. One of my kids found the page layouts visually overwhelming, even though I wasn't having her complete all the problems, and I think this is not an uncommon issue. It didn't bother my other two as much, though.

• Like 1

I have used Math Mammoth all the way through with my advanced kiddos and it has worked well.

Also, as a supplement, Prodigy is a fun (free) math game. It doesn't include any math instruction, but is great for engaging practice. (Prodigy is free, but there is also a paid option. It doesn't add any additional math practice, but more game elements like pets and seasonal accessories. If you do ever decide to buy a membership, there are many group buys around that GREATLY reduce the price.)

My son was like this at the start of 2nd grade this fall and ended up doing 5-10 lessons a day of Saxon 2 and 3 and about to start Saxon 5/4 on his own.  It gave him the challenge he was needing, he kept wanting more and was "bored" with just one lesson a day.  Some kids just get elementary math quickly and don't need to linger IMO.

My daughter used Life of Fred books alongside Saxon in elementary and middle.  She loved Life of Fred math books!  We were able to get them at the local library.