Menu

Anybody here use LLATL for beginning phonics?

Susie in MS

If you have did you like it or did you find it lacking.

I am really leaning toward HOD (I already loosely use LHTH with my 2 1/2 yo dd) for dd's schooling in the near future, but I don't like the phonics suggestons. I know that you are allowed to choose the phonics program you like. I like the way LLATL looks like fun, but did you find it lacking?

I have used LLATL off and on for my older children from the Tan book up, but I have never used the lower level books.

I'm using the red book for 6yo and the yellow for 8yo. I really like that the phonics isn't overwhelming. Both are reading well already, so that may not be what you're asking. There is good phonics reinforcement, but it's not overkill (IMHO). I still use ETC with the 6 yo just to keep her paying attention to word patterns, plus she enjoys it and it keeps her occupied when I'm working with the older dd.

I used the Blue and Red levels for my ds. We both thoroughly enjoyed it. He loved having his own books, the worksheets... everything about it. In a way, I'm sorry we had to move away from LLATL at all, but that the way it goes sometimes.

We used LLATL Blue at the beginning of this school year for a 1st grader. The cards worked wonders for ds's blending. Blue follows the typical sequence of reading instruction, CVC, consonant blends and digraphs, then long vowels. It's not as accelerated as other programs, but it does get to a good level by the end of the year. We've done other things as well this year (ETC, Calvert and Pathway readers) but we will come back to LLATL Blue to introduce long vowels and finish it up. Both ds and I like it and it gets the job done.

LLATL is enough, but depending on the child, you might need to reinforce some things or add on additional reading practice. I've finally found that ds needs phonics AND sight reading practice to get enough confidence to soar. So for us, LLATL covered half of our needs. Luckily Pathway covers the other half, so we're set for now. YMMV on this as each child is different.