Menu

Adjustable beds

BlsdMama

Anyone care to share information they’ve researched?

We’re switching from a king to a hospital bed next to an adjustable bed. I need mine (hospital bed) to raise and lower and the ALS Clinic loans them out. But DH has a horrid back and this is the opportunity to purchase a bed that works for him!  (And, as an aside, I can go back to flannel sheets, lol.)

• Like 3

We have a Sleep Number bed and love it. They have a lot of models with adjustable bases.

Don't skimp on plush. This is our second Sleep Number bed because we skimped on plush 20 years ago (the first one is going strong and used by someone younger who doesn't need so much padding to sleep). 

If you go this route, one tip on the plush...They offer (or at least used to offer) mattress pads with extra padding. Sometimes, you can order a mattress pad, plus a lower model and get the same amount of padding as the higher model for less $$$. Generally, the foam mattress pad will unzip, and you can place the foam inside the mattress. 

• Thanks 1

I went with my sister to purchase a new bed for her. She went to a local regular mattress place. They offered adjustable beds. For the king size, you got two twin mattresses so they would adjust separately - and your fitted sheet was two twins with a king size flat. If you already know what level of firmness each side wants, you can just buy a mattress that fits that. 

• Thanks 1

We had an adjustable bed that was designed specifically to be used with a hospital bed.  It was set at the height that we usually kept the hospital bed at, but it didn't go up and down.  It did have some other optional features of a hospital bed, such as bed rails, and the ability to attach medical supplies, that you might not need.

We didn't select it or buy it (a relative did and we reimbursed) and I can't tell you the company or which level of mattress we selected.  The mattress seemed fine, but nobody was sleeping on that side most of the time.  It just made the hospital bed big enough that the whole family could climb in bed together and watch a movie, etc . . . 

• Like 2

We also have a sleep number. Best mattress we have ever owned! Highly recommend it! I agree with not scrimping on the padding. It has been helpful for my husbands back. We tried foam and spring mattresses before, firm and plush...they didn't help. This was the first bed that worked. You can get them so they are adjustable too. We don't have that, but they are available.

• Like 1

We ended up going with the Saatva Solaire after reading the Consumer Reports article comparing the two. It offers the air adjustability of the asleep Number but a memory foam plus latex mattress.  I’m excited. We did save a small fortune 😉 by refusing their frame and instead buying the iDea 4i frame from Amazon. All told we spent half of the “recommended” price tag from Sleep Number and I’m excited about the latex component!

• Like 3