Menu

Peripheral Neuropathy

SereneHome

I ended up going with Rx solutions after nothing else worked.  It doesn’t sound like your DH is at that point yet, though. That’s good.  Avoid them, if possible.

FWIW, I tried many different Rxs with differing sets of side effects.  The best, for me, was Cymbalta.  I stayed on it ten years, while we addressed the underlying causes of the PN.   Getting off of it was a nightmare I wouldn’t wish on anyone.  The withdrawal was horrific.  I literally had to open capsules and wean down five little beads at a time.  It took years to get off.  Still, it was the best med of many while I needed it.

9 hours ago, Spryte said:

I ended up going with Rx solutions after nothing else worked.  It doesn’t sound like your DH is at that point yet, though. That’s good.  Avoid them, if possible.

FWIW, I tried many different Rxs with differing sets of side effects.  The best, for me, was Cymbalta.  I stayed on it ten years, while we addressed the underlying causes of the PN.   Getting off of it was a nightmare I wouldn’t wish on anyone.  The withdrawal was horrific.  I literally had to open capsules and wean down five little beads at a time.  It took years to get off.  Still, it was the best med of many while I needed it.

Oh I am so sorry!!

He doesn't want meds. He started life long meds for his MS last year...he doesn't want to add anything else.

I am seeing all kind of creams on the market...also some suggesting taking certain vitamins.

• Like 1

My daughter had this after some surgeries and we had to do desensitization exercises. It helped a whole lot. She still has impaired sensation, but no longer has the pins and needles. We used gabapentin to help make the desensitization tolerable until she no longer needed it. At first she couldn't stand to have anything touch her and the doctor said the pain and sensitivity would not go away if we ignored them and waited. I'm not sure if it would work the same way for any cause, but you'd start by using something soft, like silk, on the problem area and just rub it for 5-10 minutes several times a day. You'd increase the coarseness of the stimuli as tolerance increased over several months until you could rub a bristle brush or other scratchy thing over the area without pain. 

https://drmingkao.com/2019/07/19/desensitization-for-neuropathic-pain/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1