Menu

Games for school time

Slowing I have been adding games for schooling. There are a lot for math out there. I want them all 🙄 We do games for math on Fridays. Math seems to be the easiest for adding games in. 

There seem to be a lot of newish games out for science. I want to plan some unit studies with games and some good books. More casual than formal study. As I really have had a hard time finding elementary science I love and can get to each week. 

Anyways, how do you use games in your schooling? 

What are your favorite math, science, and history games? 

Do science and history games fill more of the theme aspect, or do they actually teach and enhance learning? 

Favorite places to look for good educational games? 

Games were a supplement here, and in grades 1-3 they were a way of practicing basic skills without a fight from DS#2 who resisted anything that looked like it might be the least bit like formal academics. Esp. in elementary grades, Fridays were game day, plus other supplements -- more involved hands-on, field trips, educational videos, etc.

Language Arts games
- Hangman
- Boggle
- crossword puzzles
- word searches
- Code Words
- Balderdash (group)
- Dixit (group)
- Taboot (group)
- Apples to Apples (group)

Math games
- card games that involve taking tricks, having a "trump" suit, etc.
- Rack-o -- sequences/number order
- Monopoly, Life, Careers, Go For Broke -- money and making change
- Shut the Box -- adding
- Yahtzee or Triple Yahtzee -- adding; multiples of 3, 4, 5
- Muggins -- add/subtract/multiply/divide
- Set -- more of a Logic game; finding patterns
- Dragon Box -- this is one we have NO experience with, but it's supposed to be great for Algebraic problem-solving understanding

Not a game, but we found these to be very useful in the grade 4-6 range:
- Hands-On equations
- Multi-Link Cube Activity Book (gr. 3-6)
- Cusienaire Rod books by Patricia Davidson (gr. 4-6) -- From Here to There, Spatial Problem Solving

History games
- Ancient Board Games (Finkel) -- out of print, and out of range price-wise, but you can find instructions all over the web for making/playing your own ancient/historical games
- Oregon Trail -- computer software game

Geography games
- Ticket to Ride
- Risk
- Where in the World is Carmon Sandiego (computer game)

Art games
- Masterpiece

We had only the 1 History board game, and no Science games. But we watched a lot of documentaries and educational shows on those topics, as well as field trips to museums, nature centers, historical sites, etc.

For Science, in addition to the above, we also enjoyed a lot of hands-on -- explorations, kits, or activities using common items around the house. For example, the Janice VanCleve books are great for the grade 3-6 age range.

For History, we also enjoyed feature films set in the time period. Also historical fiction as read-alouds IF it was well-written. When available, we also listened to music or looked at images of art made by the culture of that time. We made the occasional project or did an activity of the time. Or made a food, or played a game common to children to go along with our time period/location.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1