Menu

Anyone Switch from RS to Singapore??

PenKase

If you mean Right Start (I never know when RS means Right Start and when it means Rod & Staff), we've made the switch. What level are you working on?

I hear you! T just started RightStart level C this year, and I spent the last several weeks longing for something different, as it's sooo time consuming. He was also doing CW Aesop, which is another parent-intense program, plus I have two little ones that need my attention, and my oldest who sucks up most of my time (that's another post!)...it just wasn't getting done.

I borrowed Singapore 2A & B from a friend and had T do some lessons; He was able to, but really hated it. So we'll finish out level C (I dropped Aesop though, and switched to WWE & GWG), and then probably switch to TT4, which T is willing to do. I told him that I can't handle doing any more RightStart, even though I love how well he's done with it, because of the time commitment.

I've heard that switching from RS to Singapore works quite well for a lot of people, though.

Hi-- I have been playing with these for a few months now. what i think i have found to work is to break up the lessons and do 1/2 in the morning and 1/2 in the afternoon. I am using right start mainly because my daughter has some writing difficulties.but has also had some problems with math(mainly due to a visual procession issue)anyways, i would LOVE to do signapore with my daughter but she cries!!!So breaking it into two periods seems to make it less demandingon me! Just a thought--i to will probably go to TT next year.

pam

I'm considering switching....Although I love RS's approach to mathematics, it just continues to be so time consuming doing it with my dd8. Have any of you out there made the switch?

Thanks!!

No but we do both here. :D

How long does it normally take? I ask because I have 4 students a 5yo in A, 7yo in B, 9yo in C and 10yo finishing C doing 2 lessons a day. Singapore can be faster if your child can work independently. If you follow the schedule in the HIG's (Home Instructor Guides) there will still be some days that you do a lot of hands on work (though rare compared to RS). You will introduce the topic each day and make sure they understand. The only glitch I had was that if they didn't understand the concept I could end up sitting with them for a couple of weeks working all the problems with them. That took just as much time, and while in the end they got it....they only got the "steps" to follow, not the WHY it works that way. I really do think RS is better at teaching why.

That said you have to keep your sanity first. I have hands on learners that really needed, so it is good motivation to keep going. I also don't have to play the games very often, because I have the kids play them with each other. ;) Singapore is actually stronger in logic and story problem work, IMO.

Have you gotten far enough in RS B to cover the 2 5's strategy? Singapore will be strictly base 10, which RS also covers, but it is secondary to base 5. Where RS would normally teach 7+7 as: 5 + 2 + 5 + 2 = 10 + 2 + 2= 14 Singapore would approach the same problem as 7 + 7= 7 + 3 + 4= 10 + 4= 14. Both use the same whole to parts diagram (the big circle with the little circles attached). The major differences between the two you probably haven't gotten to yet unless you are at the end of B. That would be adding from left to right instead of right to left, and in C they also have you do subtraction from left to right instead of right to left. The other issue is the one of the difference in scope and sequence. If you are early on in B or half way through then you probably would just start in Singapore 1A, which will work heavily with whole to parts diagrams. If you are towards the end of B that is where it gets tricky. You probably would still start with level 1A simply because subtraction is introduced there (both single digit from single digit and single digit from double digit). The beginning of 1A might be really tedious, so you might let them skip pages here and there, unless they just liked that it was easy and wanted to do it all.

Hope you find a good solution!

Heather

You might look at BJU, CLE, and Horizons. All three appeal well to girls (interesting themes, some in color, etc.). BJU has totally scripted tm's and is very traditional, something that I think would alleviate your frustration. CLE can be implemented relatively independently and even includes prompts for what flashcards they should review, etc. Horizons is also pretty straightforward. I don't think SM is going to include more instructional help than RS, and it's still non-traditional enough that you're going to be out of your element. Really, RS B is the best of the RS levels, the one not to miss. I would suggest completing level B, then moving on to whatever you want. I went to BJU, which I felt gave me the conceptual approach of RS (more or less) but with colorful pages, interesting themes, etc. If time is at a premium, consider CLE. Horizons is also good, though the 4 pages of work per lesson all in one chunk overwhelmed my dd. With BJU, we do just as much, just broken into smaller chunks.

BTW, math at this age IS time-consuming. You get what you put into it. The time you spend now improves her understanding and speed later. But I think you are expressing more than that, concerns about your ability to teach RS, etc. I think you'll be glad you finished out RS B, even if you move onto something else. I really like the way they approach multi-digit subtraction in RS C, so you might continue farther. If time is your ONLY issue, I'd keep going. But if there are more issues, you can find something to fit you, absolutely. I just don't see how SM is going to be that much of a change. It's similar conceptually and provides less guidance to the teacher, even in their teacher guides.

Edited by OhElizabeth