Menu

Which level of Writing Tales for a 9yo boy?

lovetobehome

I want to begin using a writing program, and am looking at (and buying) several to try. I bought the IEW Ancient History based program, WWE, and I want to try Writing Tales as well. The question is, which level? My son is almost 9. He resists writing in general. He is bright, reads tons, has a fabulous vocabulary and grammar is no problem for him. Level 1 or 2?

Thanks!

Ok, so I looked it over, Level 1, and the grammar is going to be way too simple for him. But the writing in level 2 might be too ambitious. Should I just take it really slow doing level 2, or expect less of him? Or do level 1, and just skip the grammar or use that as a fun time (and learning time for my 6yo daughter)?

Edited by lovetobehome

I recently purchased WT for my nine year old son. I was advised to order Level 1 for him because the summaries/narrations that he has been writing (on his own, I mean) in history/science have only been short paragraphs (much longer when he dictates and I do the writing for him).

After looking Level 1 over very thoroughly, I returned it and I won't order Level 2. Level 1 would have been way too easy for him. And, I think Level 2 will be too much writing.

I really didn't need a writing curriculum that included grammar and spelling anyways because I am happy with what we are already using in those areas. I think WT would work best for someone who doesn't already have things for those areas of instruction. I really liked it, but it just gave us too much of what we didn't need and not enough of what we did need.

I had already started implementing some methods from The Brave Writer, so I'm just going to stick with that. I like that I can use my other choices for grammar and spelling with it.

If your son is strong in grammar or spelling already, you may want to try Level 2. I wouldn't buy Level 1 expecting to skip the areas that he is strong in because the actual writing instruction is actually quite minimal, in my opinion.

Thanks so much everyone for your input.

Ok, so my son is strong in grammar (halfway through R&S 3 and it is easy for him), and strong in spelling (halfway through book 2 of Sequential Spelling and almost never makes a mistake). I don't want to stop using either of these; they work great for us and he likes them both-we are in a good groove with them. Is WT going to make it overkill, with it including grammar and spelling? I really wasn't paying attention to it having grammar and spelling included. I was just reading that it was a neat writing program. Maybe I should just use a program that specifically targets writing? Comments?

Thanks so much everyone for your input.

Ok, so my son is strong in grammar (halfway through R&S 3 and it is easy for him), and strong in spelling (halfway through book 2 of Sequential Spelling and almost never makes a mistake). I don't want to stop using either of these; they work great for us and he likes them both-we are in a good groove with them. Is WT going to make it overkill, with it including grammar and spelling? I really wasn't paying attention to it having grammar and spelling included. I was just reading that it was a neat writing program. Maybe I should just use a program that specifically targets writing? Comments?

Well, what I keep reminding myself is not to be a slave to a curriculum. We have enjoyed WT so far - we did half of level one and have switched to level two. We do R&S 4 and Lively Latin, both of which include grammar, so we do orally most of the grammar in WT. It doesn't really include spelling per se, but on each model there are a few words that the child is expected to look up in the dictionary and write a definition, and each word that hte child misspells in his/her writing, those incorrect words are expected to be copied a couple of times. I've welcomed the grammar because review is so important. However, if I expected ds to write each exercise completely, it might take more time than I have.

Amy of WT will probably chime in here soon. She keeps her eye on the boards.

We use a separate spelling curriculum, and I don't feel like it's overkill at all. WT2 does have grammar, but it's really more review (so far, anyway) than anything. We've covered nouns, verbs, and pronouns, types of sentences, etc. Stuff we've been studying since K. But I'm comfortable with not having a rigorous grammar program right now. Overall, I like WT for its gentle approach, and I'll supplement when I feel it's needed. Does that clarify at all, or just muddy the waters? :001_smile:

Lovetobehome, it's easy to confuse the issue of writing with grammar when looking at WT1. Remember, you're primarily wanting it for a WRITING program. If the WRITING is on-level and of do-able quantity for him, then it's a good fit. You can skip the spelling and do the grammar orally. I think if you get it, you should go with WT1 because you specifically said your ds RESISTS WRITING. Also, I would encourage you to review the stages of writing development in WWE and make sure he's ready for WT. Can he write his own narration comfortably? The models in WT2 get VERY LONG, so you really don't want to push him into that, irrespective of his readiness for the grammar. If he cannot write his own narration comfortably, I would work on that (via WWE) and pursue WT next year, in 4th.

Edited by OhElizabeth

Writing Tales is a writing program. I think that it would be very difficult to teach a writing program without grammar and spelling(which by the way I think spelling is grammar). In my opinion, I think that starting with WT1 is a fine start to help your son with his writing. Utilize the writing with grammar and spelling as kind of like a test to see how your son does.

Most grammar programs are like lab experiments. They are taken out of context. A writing program helps put the grammar in context. The spelling is any spelling errors that your child made in his writing assignments. So, it is in context of writing and it shows if the child understands what he learned from his grammar lessons.

Just to let you know, my older son is doing WT2 this year. I should have done it last year but I wanted to focus on grammar. He is doing WT2, Latina Christiana 2 (which is more grammar than one), and Growing with Grammar. I joke that I O.D. on grammar. :lol:

Blessings in your homeschooling journey!

Sincerely,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony