Menu

SL 20th Century vs BF Modern US/World

Has anyone had any experience with these? I'd like to cover modern history and am thinking about these 2 programs. I've used BF and SL at different times so I'm familar with them both, just not these particular cores.

Anyone care to compare their experience with the two? Or maybe you just have pros and cons of one of them.  Any thoughts on these are appreciated!

Thanks!

We are using Sonlight 20th century and really enjoying it so far. We are only doing the history and Bible, not the literature. I’ve read some of the book selections alongside my daughter and they’ve been fabulous. We are only about 6 weeks in, so I can’t give a full review of the year, but so far it’s great! 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

My son did BF Modern US/World.

He took two years to complete it. It is a great program. We scaled down some of the literature questions because he was taking a separate English class. I am assuming you have looked at samples for both programs. We used Sonlight when my children were young, but although I have always liked their books selections, I never liked their IGs. 

BF's program has fantastic books and a very good Guide.

• Thanks 1

We really loved SL core 300-- I did cut back some of the SL lit (or let it just be a free read) and added in some of Ambleside Online's Year 11 instead (most of the speeches and essays listed in Yr 11, and some of the lit/history books).  My son was using an older edition of Core 300, which used this book- 20th Century Day by Day; that book does not have a lot of analysis, it is really more like reading the newspaper- but that was good, because my son was able to make his own connections between events.  Adding all the speeches in was part of what made it a great year for us. 

Edited by Zoo Keeper