Menu

Please help Android users and music loversl

TravelingChris

Google music is going awY.  I do not want to use any subscription service but wouldn't mind paying a one time fee for a good app.  Both dh and I have giant home music libraries on our phones.  We want to listen to our own music, not what others choose or watch videos or have ads.  It is our music that we bought and keep buying.  Many of it isn't on any service. Also as our ñiw ending proved and zny time we drive east of our home just a bit, cellphone service is iffy do no online providers.  Google Music was perfect for us since it had genres, dings, albums, artists and plsylists.

Any suggestions?

27 minutes ago, TravelingChris said:

Google Music was perfect for us since it had genres, dings, albums, artists and plsylists.

That's pretty basic for any music app. If you'll be listening to your own music, you might just give the free level of youtube music a try (it's what's replacing google music). 

If you have Amazon Prime, Amazon Music might be another good choice. You can have your personal music library and do all the things. They also have a ton of free music, which I realize isn't your main interest, but it can be great for exploring new genres or artists, or for the songs you only want to listen to very occasionally. 

It does ask me if I want to try the premium version almost every time I open it, but it's just a pop up box that you x out of. No ads other than that. If I keep the app open for the day, I only see it the one time. 

23 minutes ago, katilac said:

So it can add all the music not on YouTube? Is it subscription? Or subscription or ads like current Youtube?  Cause I didn't care about ads on YouTube since I use it so infrequently.  But it is My Music and I to not want ads or to pay?  And does it organize?  Or to make playlists?  And do you need internet to use?

4 hours ago, TravelingChris said:

So it can add all the music not on YouTube? Is it subscription? Or subscription or ads like current Youtube?  Cause I didn't care about ads on YouTube since I use it so infrequently.  But it is My Music and I to not want ads or to pay?  And does it organize?  Or to make playlists?  And do you need internet to use?

They have subscriptions available, you need not worry about them if you just want to play your own music. You don't need internet for songs that are stored on your device, you won't get ads while playing songs stored on your device, you don't need a paying subscription. 

If you've been using Google Play Music, you should be able to just port everything over, including your existing playlists, and you can create new ones as well. 

Take a look at Google Support for YouTube music.  Should be pretty easy. 

• Thanks 1

We pay for that YouTube without ads thing, which comes with YouTube music without ads.  It's ideal to me, but I haven't tried the free version.  You can choose on the app whether to play the video or just the music. I think it defaults to only music. Artists, even small ones, upload everything to YouTube so there's endless music.

As soon as I installed YouTube music, it could "See" all my files stored on the device, The only thing that didn't transfer over from Google PLay music is my playlists I had created in that app -- I'll have to recreate those, but luckily I didn't have many. No ads as far as I can tell to play my own music that I have stored on my device.   I don't really prefer the interface though -- you are constantly having to switch tabs from the online/youtube music tab to the "device" tab to play your own music files.

This app seems to be pretty highly rated, so I might try it soon:  https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=in.krosbits.musicolet&hl=en_US

Edited to add: I just realized that I didn't have any playlists on this phone specifically (I guess they were all on my old phone I got rid of a few months ago -- I hadn't even noticed) - so it is possible your created playlists in Play music may transfer over to YT music app.

Edited by kirstenhill