Menu

gift ideas for girls who lost their father in the war..?

I have a family friend who lost her dh in Afganistan this week. She has 2 young girls and I'd like to send them something. Any ideas?

My first thought was the book "Teddy's Button" but I'm not sure that would be appropriate.

Your help and ideas would be appreciated.

I think the very best thing that you can send is a note telling them of nice or funny memories that you have of their father or an observation you made of how much their father demonstrated his love for them (include a picture of him if you have one. Anything that will allow them to know or remember their father better is what they will most cherish in the future!

-Ann

I think the very best thing that you can send is a note telling them of nice or funny memories that you have of their father or an observation you made of how much their father demonstrated his love for them (include a picture of him if you have one. Anything that will allow them to know or remember their father better is what they will most cherish in the future!

-Ann

:iagree:

This will mean ever so much more than a material item, though anything you send will make them feel remembered and loved.

I do this regularly with my little cousins, whom I care for every weekend. Their mother is dying of a brain tumor, and has been living at a nursing home in a dementia unit for 18 months. She went from "normal" to brain damaged in a very short time, and it has been awful. My aunt and I grew up more as sisters because our mothers had a business together, and she is not that much older than me.

I am one of the few people in the world who remembers their mother well, for her entire life, and I make a point of regularly telling the kids every silly little story I can think of about their mother. They lap up those details and treasure them and want to hear them over and over.

Don't worry about wording things perfectly or making it the most amazing letter ever. Just do it. Sit down and write any little details you can think of, or any story no matter how mundane. They will keep that letter and re-read it over time and treasure it.

• 1 year later...

I would get them tickets to a movie. Or movie passes.

At Christmas, I think they should have something that will be fun for them, not emotional/sentimental. I'm sure they have had some of that too, but Christmas gifts should be something joyful for them.

I would save the memorial type thang' for after Christmas. Just my humble opinion.

Jo

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kanga

-Ann

:iagree:

This will mean ever so much more than a material item, though anything you send will make them feel remembered and loved.

I do this regularly with my little cousins, whom I care for every weekend. Their mother is dying of a brain tumor, and has been living at a nursing home in a dementia unit for 18 months. She went from "normal" to brain damaged in a very short time, and it has been awful. My aunt and I grew up more as sisters because our mothers had a business together, and she is not that much older than me.

I am one of the few people in the world who remembers their mother well, for her entire life, and I make a point of regularly telling the kids every silly little story I can think of about their mother. They lap up those details and treasure them and want to hear them over and over.

Don't worry about wording things perfectly or making it the most amazing letter ever. Just do it. Sit down and write any little details you can think of, or any story no matter how mundane. They will keep that letter and re-read it over time and treasure it.

Yes, do this.

My dad's best friend told me stories for years and years. It was the only way I was ever able to "know" my dad.

a

-Ann

I would get them tickets to a movie. Or movie passes.

At Christmas, I think they should have something that will be fun for them, not emotional/sentimental. I'm sure they have had some of that too, but Christmas gifts should be something joyful for them.

I would save the memorial type thang' for after Christmas. Just my humble opinion.

Jo

I agree with both of these. Start a diary or scrapbook of memories about their dad-plan to give it in several months. In the mean time that family needs some more practical help. Send a cleaning crew or meals to the house. Send gift certificates for a local restaurant where they can get take out. Send movie tickets.