Menu

Medical Bill- any recourse- solved thanks!

Soror

Last year we were referred to a local imaging place for a abdomen xray. When I got there I was told if I could pay $55 in total up front or they could bill it and it would be $100. I went ahead and paid cash. She said if I had any issue that I needed to contact this person in the business office. 

So, months later I get a bill for another $95. I called this lady who was supposed to help at the business office 4 times before she finally called me back (when I went to daily calling). Pretty much saying that is how much it was.

The really infuriating part is dd had the same procedure elsewhere at a later date and it was something like $10 per our negotiated rate.

Am I just stuck paying this? Is there anywhere else to dispute this? 

Edited by soror
  • Sad 1

Send them a letter with the bill, marked "This was paid in full at the time of the visit.  DO NOT CONTACT ME ABOUT THIS AGAIN."

There's a chance it will go to collections or you will be sued.  If it goes to collections, tell them the same thing, and do not pay.  Check your credit reports and dispute the charge (repeatedly if necessary) until it is removed. If you are sued you'll need to find the receipt.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Katy said:

Send them a letter with the bill, marked "This was paid in full at the time of the visit.  DO NOT CONTACT ME ABOUT THIS AGAIN."

There's a chance it will go to collections or you will be sued.  If it goes to collections, tell them the same thing, and do not pay.  Check your credit reports and dispute the charge (repeatedly if necessary) until it is removed. If you are sued you'll need to find the receipt.

I do have the receipt. It shows I paid and they show I paid that much just that now I owe more. It is so frustrating.

I got one EOB that said I owe nothing and sent it to them but they kept sending me bills.

I think originally they said it was $55 for cash pay but they went ahead and billed the insurance anyway. It is a total mess.

Edited by soror

2 hours ago, soror said:

I do have the receipt. It shows I paid and they show I paid that much just that now I owe more. It is so frustrating.

I got one EOB that said I owe nothing and sent it to them but they kept sending me bills.

I think originally they said it was $55 for cash pay but they went ahead and billed the insurance anyway. It is a total mess.

Call your insurance company.  Tell them the provider billed them fraudulently and you need help.  They'll shut this down because this sort of fraud can land that office manager in jail.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Katy said:

Call your insurance company.  Tell them the provider billed them fraudulently and you need help.  They'll shut this down because this sort of fraud can land that office manager in jail.

On hold now... 

• Like 1

So, I called my insurance and they called the billing department with me on the line. At first she gave me the same convoluted crap. But as I told her although I have insurance they told me I could pay private pay for less and skip billing the insurance as I'm on high deductible. Then she put me on hold forever and when she came she magically found some message that said this claim was supposed to already be cancelled. So, my insurance rep took notes on it and I made note of the reference number for the call and both the ladies I talked to in case there is an issue later. 

I really appreciate you guys help, it didn't occur to me to call insurance since it was supposed to be paid via private pay but it worked!

Edited by soror
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

What a relief to get those pesky issues resolved!

Not to stir the pot while you bask, but sometimes you can submit a privately paid bill for reimbursement. The cost increase at the office is often to pay for dealing with insurance, but in this case you are doing the "dealing with insurance" part. Anyway, if you have any energy left, you could ask your friendly insurance rep if that is possible....

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, SusanC said:

What a relief to get those pesky issues resolved!

Not to stir the pot while you bask, but sometimes you can submit a privately paid bill for reimbursement. The cost increase at the office is often to pay for dealing with insurance, but in this case you are doing the "dealing with insurance" part. Anyway, if you have any energy left, you could ask your friendly insurance rep if that is possible....

In this case I'm high deductible so I have to pay for it out of pocket anyway as I hadn't met my deductible by then. 

9 minutes ago, SusanC said:

Same thing for us. If you submit it, though, I think it should be added onto your out of pocket tally. But that amount may not be worth the hassle. Just bask in the glory of a problem resolved. 😁

I'll keep that in mind for this year, thanks!