Menu

Generational Wisdom

IME, it works better when it's their idea.  Or when the child asks.  But some people really don't like to teach.  The generational wisdom doesn't have to come from family.  Our neighbors have taught our dc how to do a number of things just because they liked them and wanted to share what they were doing.

Edited by klmama
Typo
  • Like 2

You know, it doesn't just have to come from family. I know of several older ladies from church who are so wise and my kids respect their wisdom. In fact, theres a thing we say at my house, "What would Ms. D. say?" because she's just so Godly.

Like one thing she says on the topic of depression, "Jesus give us joy, but good medicine can help you feel it."

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Pen said:

I think asking a grandparent to teach a specific skill to a grandchild is not my understanding of “generational wisdom”. 

This. Maybe I have had the wrong view of it. I would have said it is acquired by just living life together and the normal talking through the normal things that come up.

Like, granny and I never had a specific day and time to discuss making dumplings. She made them, I helped, we talked.

Same with more "life" type wisdom. We talked about things that happened, she shared experiences, etc. As people get older, they usually enjoy reminiscing. Many younger people, though, don't take the time to listen and participate in a discussion. I know there have been many times I squandered the opportunity to listen and learn.

I'm sorry it's not worked out that your older ones are good at teaching. I do know people like that. Maybe they would be more comfortable starting with helping the grandkids with a family history project? Bringing out pictures is usually a great way to get them to telling stories that can be jumping off points to other things.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Jentrovert said:

This. Maybe I have had the wrong view of it. I would have said it is acquired by just living life together and the normal talking through the normal things that come up.

Like, granny and I never had a specific day and time to discuss making dumplings. She made them, I helped, we talked.

Same with more "life" type wisdom. We talked about things that happened, she shared experiences, etc. As people get older, they usually enjoy reminiscing. Many younger people, though, don't take the time to listen and participate in a discussion. I know there have been many times I squandered the opportunity to listen and learn.

I'm sorry it's not worked out that your older ones are good at teaching. I do know people like that. Maybe they would be more comfortable starting with helping the grandkids with a family history project? Bringing out pictures is usually a great way to get them to telling stories that can be jumping off points to other things.

Yes this.

And maybe instead of asking grandparents to do a particular thing, instead explaining that parent wants for there to be a good relationship between the grandparents and grandkids and for the grandparents  to be able to impart their knowledge and wisdom to the kids might lead to learning what, if anything, the grandparents would like. 

Unless something k like recorder playing is a great love of the grandma that she has dreamed of sharing with a grandkid, and unless the grandkid  enjoys it too, there could be just as much wisdom involved and imparted in Not continuing with something that isn’t being mutually enjoyed by the grandma-grandkid as in carrying on with something not enjoyable.