Menu

Conceptual Academy

I am thinking of using this for my rising 8th grader who loves STEM. It looks amazing, but before I pay up I'd like to perform my due diligence. Has anyone tried it? I'd love to hear the pros and cons about the videos, labs, homework, etc. Any info would help. I did watch a sample video but would have appreciated seeing a sample of the homework they request as well.

My older two used the Physical Sciences class in 7th grade. I wanted something that would keep them thinking about a variety of science topics for a full year without my having to plan it out or provide a lot of encouragement. We had finished BFSU, but I didn't want to start them on high school science. The library doesn't have much to offer in science texts between elementary and adult general interest, so this is where I ended up.

It nicely met my requirements. They would read the text, watch videos and take quizzes online and at the end if every chapter I would spend time with them doing the chapter review problems and talking about study skills. I think there was a chapter test at that point.

I was wholly satisfied with the class. The physics parts were, as expected, the most popular. Mr. Sukochi answered questions when we had them, my kids had no trouble navigating the online portion. I think we were pretty early in the setup, because there were a number of glitches that seemed to be where the course was still incomplete - questions or quizzes that weren't functioning yet online. We didn't finish the course, but that wasn't a priority for me going in, so want a surprise. I suspect that after the physics section interest and speed may have decreased some.

TLDR: it was a solid "fine", probably better now a few years father on.

• Like 2

Thank you, SusanC!!! I did find several posts on the high school board from the physics lists but was unable to make any of them work. I've since taken the sample class offered on the Conceptual website and think the course will work nicely for older ds. I might take a year with the younger to go over BFSU, since I think he would thrive on a lot of discussion. 

• Like 1