Menu

Switch from math u see to teaching textbooks

Any thoughts on making the transition from Math U See to Teaching Textbooks?  My dd will be entering 7th grade and is ready for pre-algebra. We have been very happy with math u see. I am looking for something more hands off for me.  I'd love a program where it can tell her when she makes mistakes and force correction. Having the curriculum and book online is also appealing.  I don't want something that takes hours each day. Also is there flexibility with teaching textbooks as far as being able to back up & review or skip lessons or problems?

19 minutes ago, erin327 said:

Any thoughts on making the transition from Math U See to Teaching Textbooks?  My dd will be entering 7th grade and is ready for pre-algebra. We have been very happy with math u see. I am looking for something more hands off for me.  I'd love a program where it can tell her when she makes mistakes and force correction. Having the curriculum and book online is also appealing.  I don't want something that takes hours each day. Also is there flexibility with teaching textbooks as far as being able to back up & review or skip lessons or problems?

TT is not going to force her to make corrections.  (One issue that many parents have is that their kids learn to game TT's system.)

Have you considered Thinkwell?  Dr. Burger is a great teacher.  They have a placement test so you would be able to assess where to place her.  https://www.thinkwellhomeschool.com/collections/grades-6-12-math

Honestly, if MUS is working for her, I wouldn't switch. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, right? I would also be cautious about wanting to be "hands off" about math. Math is one of those subjects to keep an eye on, because you don't want your child taking shortcuts or gaming the system, as the PP mentioned. You will want to at least check in with her every day and talk her through problems she's missed, etc.

That said, it is possible to adjust TT by skipping problems or lessons, or backing up if needed. But it will probably take her longer each day than MUS (at least that is my experience). Also, I would try a TT placement test to make sure she tests into pre-algebra before starting, just to be sure.

• Like 2

ALEKS is the only program I know of that actually forces corrections (sort of) and gives more problems of the same type until it's satisfied that that particular skill has been remediated.

That said, I don't recommend ALEKS as a primary program.

If you want someone else to present the material and to grade quizzes and tests, take a look at Derek Owens.  You would still need to be involved with checking your student's practice problems (and ensuring that they are corrected).

Edited by EKS