Menu

AOPS Prealgebra

5 minutes ago, Florimell said:

It has varied wildly by chapter. For the easier chapters, it was about an hour total. For the harder chapters, it was around 4-5 hours. They take a LOT longer than the regular chapter problems and exercises. DS took just over a year for the book and did every single problem. DD is just working on it now, and we may skip some of the challenge problems.

So, did it take your son up to 4-5 hours to do both end of chapter problem sets or just the challenge problems?

Very similar experience to @Florimell.  Some reviews could take a full week.  We just finished AOPS Algebra with ds, and geometry is going SUPER fast so far compared to Algebra.  I think will slow down at some point, but right now he's done over a chapter per week (we're on geometry ch 3 now).  My dd just started AOPS Pre-A this week and it's going slowly, but this is normal and expected.  

We did not do the challenge problems in the algebra or pre-a text.  I may have ds do the algebra challenges as a review between geometry chapters.  Hmmm....  

No regret about a single minute spent on AOPS materials!  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Florimell said:

I could have written this word.for.word for my own two kids!

Are you also flying through the geometry?  Will it get more time-intensive at some point?  I would love for it to be a fast book, at it took us 18 months for algebra.  But I count the algebra book at Algebra 1 and Algebra "1.5", so I feel fine about the time we spent on it.