Menu

Mac computer recommendations please.

My FIL has offered to upgrade our old computer for Christmas (read: buy us a new one). I have a Dell right now with Windows XP. I do not want another PC b/c of the Windows Vista problems. Dh has a work laptop w/ Vista and has problems every other day. Not fun. Anyway, I used to have a Mac way back "in the day" :) and I'd like another. What should I get? I'd like something powerful, able to play DVDs, lots of storage, compatible w/ Office, etc. Are there any reasons why I should NOT buy a Mac? And, laptop or desktop? I'd probably not do much traveling w/ it but the convenience would be nice :) But, I don't want the mobility over power, KWIM? I'd rather have more power/storage than the mobility if it is a trade off. Okay...any recommendations or other advice? Thanks.

Are the kids going to be using it?

I'd probably go with the iMac - the base models will be able to do what you need to! To futre proof though - i'd go with the better Video card models, either the 20-inch: 2.66GHz or the 24-inch: 2.8GHz models.

http://store.apple.com/us_edu_21023/browse/home/shop_mac/family/imac?mco=MTE3MDM

Why to not buy a Mac? Hmmm, i have no reasons i can give you on that topic! LOL!!!

Here is the link tot he Homeschool Store: http://www.apple.com/education/shop/homeschool/

Oh and honestly, i'd wait until Macworld in January (5-9th) to buy OR put the 14 day return window in that area so you don't get dinged if you want to exchange it.

There is a good chance that the iMacs will be updated to the newest processors/graphics cards in the new laptops. Which is a good thing! Normally that will boost the hard drive space and all that too.

Oh and honestly, i'd wait until Macworld in January (5-9th) to buy OR put the 14 day return window in that area so you don't get dinged if you want to exchange it.

There is a good chance that the iMacs will be updated to the newest processors/graphics cards in the new laptops. Which is a good thing! Normally that will boost the hard drive space and all that too.

Good point! I would wait until Macworld. No doubt.

And I would get this book. Mac OS X Leopard Book by Scott Kelby.

Edited by Jumping In Puddles

I know I will sound like the odd one here, but if I had a do over, I would NOT buy an iMac again. It has been nothing but trouble (fan going out, dvd not working, locking up, etc). I may as well have bought a Windows machine! I justified paying such a higher price for mac because it was supposed to be a higher quality system. :glare: Plus the only place we can take it for repair is about an hour away (only open during the week too). The only redeeming quality for me is I don't have to worry about viruses (but with macs becoming more popular, that may not always be the case).

If you get a Mac, definitely get the Apple care (or whatever its called) where they will send a tech to your home for repairs.

If you are still considering a Windows machine, I think a lot of places will still sell XP.

Edited by jojomojo