Menu

I do so hate the timed online AP exams

I don't know what a good alternative would be, but this is pretty awful.

DD is taking the CalcBC exam. She's mid-way, right now.  First question she completed it with just barely over 5 minutes left - their guidelines for when to stop and upload your work.  Take photo of 4 pages. upload photo to google drive over cellular connection. download to chromebook from google drive over crappy DSL wifi. attach in reply page. hit submit. As she's hitting the submit button the clock at the bottom is counting down.

....why is it not submitting?  it's just spinning there....the submit button is dark, so looks like it took it? but the submit page is still unchanged...what's the problem??? major stress balls....hang wringing...

....clock stops counting. page just says 'loading'.....

clock resets to 20:00...and starts counting down. page still says 'loading'.

again, major tress balls. for 20 more seconds.

clock says 19:40 and question 2 appears.   calc working begins.

no idea if the first question was successfully submitted or not. not sure if/when we get confirmation. She's doing math now, but it's gotta be hard to not be wondering or stressing about if the first problem actually went through or if you should stop earlier on this one to have more time, or???

this is dreadful. We took an already stressful situation, and made it worse by adding yet more time pressure plus the uncertainty of time-pressured IT problems, while actually reducing the amount of subject-related work and assessment.

Edited by AEC
typo
  • Sad 4

whelp, she's done.  She thought the (2) problems were pretty easy. she's definitely solved harder ones in practice tests. There does not seem to be any confirmation that you submitted something and they got it, or how many pages were submitted. which seems bad.

We suspect that the 'submitting' tag is held from the time you hit 'submit' till the 2nd question starts.  At least, we hope that's true because that's what happened. If you had another experience let me know so we know if we should contact SB about the issue, or not.

• Like 1

DS14 said he finished like 60% of each question. He is rejoicing that it’s over. He used Firefox browser and Google docs, said uploading answers went smoothly. 

The easier way to transfer photos is to connect the phone to the laptop using a usb data sync cable. That bypass the cellular/internet connection. I have used a 6 feet data sync cable and Microsoft Lens on my iPhone to do that for my own homework because I was lazy to use my multifunctional printer to scan. 

I don't know why a cable didn't occur to me.  DS has 3 next week - we'll have to look at how to do that w/ a chromebook. I'm sure it's possible and that would be better.

Did you also see that the page just said 'submitting' till the 2nd question started, and there's no confirmation of receipt?

7 minutes ago, AEC said:

I don't know why a cable didn't occur to me.  DS has 3 next week - we'll have to look at how to do that w/ a chromebook. I'm sure it's possible and that would be better.

Did you also see that the page just said 'submitting' till the 2nd question started, and there's no confirmation of receipt?

I’ll have to ask him later about the submitting as he is doing his other homework now. DS14 has three next week too. 

https://support.google.com/android/answer/9064445?hl=en-GB

“Option 2: Move files with a USB cable

1. Unlock your phone.
  2. With a USB cable, connect your phone to your Chromebook.
  3. Unlock your phone.
  4. On your phone, tap the 'Charging this device via USB' notification.
  5. Under 'Use USB for', select File Transfer.
  6. On your Chromebook, the Files app opens. Use it to drag files. Learn what file types work on Chromebooks.
  7. When you've finished, unplug the USB cable.”

35 minutes ago, AEC said:

DS14 said that after he submitted question 1, the timer show how long before question 2 starts. After he submitted question 2, it says something like you have successfully completed the exam. 

the countdown occurred w/ 'submit' still on the page, but it sounds like that's expected.  Also, we found a CB site that indicates that if you've hit 'submit' before the 2nd one starts it'll upload in the background and if you get the 'congrats' page they have everything. so sounds like we're good.  thanks.

Edited by AEC

1 hour ago, Arcadia said:

DS14 said that after he submitted question 1, the timer show how long before question 2 starts. After he submitted question 2, it says something like you have successfully completed the exam. 

Yep, this is what happened for my DS. He submitted his first images for the first problem early (he had emailed the images to himself from his phone and freaked out while the email took a little bit to arrive in his inbox). Once the images were uploaded, he said the timer just showed him how much time remained before starting the second problem. 

Some kids online were saying that the process took them a while after clicking submit for the first problem, but apparently your upload continues in the background in the case of a slower connection. You only have an issue (I think?) if it gives you a message about a missing response at the time of your final submission (i.e. not the Congratulations! message at the end).

For question 2, my DS just texted the pictures from his phone to himself (he had iMessage logged in on the mac that he was working from) and that transfer was MUCH faster. Not an option for everyone on all devices, but texting was the fastest/least stressful way to transfer in his experience today.

Overall he thought the test went well (despite apparently panicking for time when he saw sections a - i to complete on the first problem!) and his submission went smoothly. 

My son had an issue submitting his first question on the Latin one. He knows it didn’t submit before he ran out of time. He stopped with plenty of time but the file wouldn’t come up when he did was trying to upload it. He filled out the form to do a makeup but we’re not sure if they will let him. Either way, it’s such a bummer for him. He’s handling it well but I feel bad for him. 

I’m not sure I have a better solution for the AP exams given the current situation. I just feel bad for all these high school juniors and seniors who have worked hard and are going to have so much upheaval at a stressful time in their lives. 

• Like 1

also find this amusing......

https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=now 1-d&geo=US&q=riemann sum

https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=now 1-d&geo=US&q=taylor series

no one EVER cares to know what a Riemann Sum is....except between 1:24 and 1:32 today, central time, when they do...and then we're back to no one caring.

lolz.

Edited by AEC
  • Haha 3