Menu

Favorite books for morning basket?

hs03842

Can you tell me the age(s) of your kid(s)? FWIW, ours are currently 9, 8, 6, and 3.

We start with prayer. Then we read something historical or science related. For history, we are currently listening to TAN books The Story of Civilization (vol. 2). We are also reading The American Story (100 True Tales from American History). Science has fallen by the wayside, as that's generally non-fiction picture books and with the library closed we've just taken a break. We will probably start reading sections from Childcraft encyclopedias to make up for it. My goal is to get to history/social studies and science each twice a week.

For art and music, we currently have: The Story of the Orchestra, The Usborne Book of Famous Artists, and The Story of Paintings (A History of Art for Children). We recently added the first MCT poetry book to this rotation. I want to start reading through Grammarland and Classic Myths to Read Aloud

Rarely do we get to all categories. We have to intersperse the above with picture books for the preschooler. If there's extra time (ha), I'll read a chapter of our current RA. I'll try to come back and add links for the books above later.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

Can I ask what a morning basket is?  I keep hearing references, and I think I have a vague idea, but I'm not sure.

That's the generally accepted term for a conglomeration of things that a family reads/listens to/does together, often in the morning to start their day (but it could certainly be a lunch basket or bedtime basket or whatever). It's a way to make sure to get to some of the "gravy" of HS. Read more from Pam Barnhill here.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

Oh, we do something sort of like that twice a day.  Except we apparently missed that we were supposed to use a basket. I guess that's a rookie mistake.

That picture of a beautiful basket is just a staple in the collective homeschool  mindset of the perfect cozy family reading time. 🙂 Gotta have a basket. 😉

• Like 2

Op, I like to keep a copy of What You're Kindergartener Needs to Know (and each grade level,) on hand for this purpose- perfect for nursery rhymes, common sayings, songs, short readings on all kinds of topics, stories, fables, and so on. 

Currently in ours is a book of hymn stories (for everyone,) a state history book with short readings and pictures (for everyone,), Little House in the Big Woods ( for everyone,) George Washington's Rules to Live By (for everyone,) the Story Of Western Science (for teens,) science picture books ( for ker,) historical picture books (for ker,) an art history book (for teens,) and What Your Kindergartener Needs to Know.

Edited by 2_girls_mommy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

I'm trying, the other day I learned I'm supposed to have something called a proclick.  Now it's a basket.  I am clearly failing my children.

I do have a library card and a whiteboard. Do those get me any points?  I supposed the library card is worth more when the library is actually open.  

I'm a long term failure- no proclick here! I just, gasp, 3 hole punch and put lessons in old recycled binders. ....off to hide my face now. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, JoyKM said:

Thanks!  What is the name of your hymn book?  I am actively looking for a good, child oriented hymn stories book—the only series I have come across has about 12 songs per book, and I’m searching for one that has more in it if that exists. I have never heard of WYKNTK—thanks for the recommendation!

101 Hymn Stories by Kenneth Osbeck

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JoyKM said:

Thanks!  I’ve had that in my Thriftbooks cart several times but was on this huge waitlist with the library to see if it would work for how young my kids are. Now we can’t get holds! Would you say this book works for all ages and can be reappreciated as songs are studied again a few years later?

The history is over my ker's head. But she's used to sitting for older read alouds. Then I just look the hymn up on YouTube and play it on the TV after we've read about it. I enjoy the history readings for sure. My teens definitely gain from it. 

• Like 1

Favorites I've used in the past:  Favorite Poems Old and New, Lives of the Musicians (Also Artists and Scientists), A Child’s Introduction to Poetry (also Orchestra), Draw the USA (and others), Maps: Getting from Here to There, D'Aulaire's books, You Wouldn't Want to be... books, Renaissance Artists who Inspired the World, Tales for Shakespeare, Usborne Famous Composers Reference Book, Handbook of Nature Study, Trial and Triumph, Childcraft Encyclopedias, The Book of Virtues, plus we usually have a joke book going from the library.  

Not a book but we love the Simply Charlotte Mason Artists Portfolios and IEW Poetry Memorization.  I also have Living Memory on the shelf that I pull memory work from.