Menu

(free) multi-age Pandemic Unit Study from Pandia Press/Real Science Odyssey

You can find it on their home page: it looks well-done.  I was concerned that it might trigger anxiety, but reading through it I think it is more likely to allay fears & lend a sense of understanding and comprehensibility. 

A world-view reminder: Pandia Press' products are based on empirical science and are not faith-based. 

Edited by serendipitous journey
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

I can't decide if this looks anxiety provoking or anxiety alleviating.  I'm curious if anyone else is using it.

This also made me look at their other materials.  Has anyone used their Astronomy Level II?  It might be just what we need.  

I tried it with my elder, but he knew way too much astronomy to benefit: he hated the assignments and it didn't have new information for him.  I do plan to try with my younger, though, who is to history what his brother is to science (and vice-versa). 

I'm doing it with my kids and they are actually getting a lot out of it. My more crafty kid enjoyed making the plague mask, my more analytical kid spent a long time last week with the interactive map of the Spanish Influenza pandemic. Both are getting something out of doing the journal, but what I really loved were the definitions of everything. They're hearing all these terms in the news but are way less freaked out because they get the why behind the discussions.

My kids are 9 and 11. It seemed perfect for that age. I've not done any of the other science offerings from Pandia Press because they seem too worksheet heavy, but if they put out more small topic units like these I'd probably buy them.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, bevwdi said:

I'm doing it with my kids and they are actually getting a lot out of it. My more crafty kid enjoyed making the plague mask, my more analytical kid spent a long time last week with the interactive map of the Spanish Influenza pandemic. ..

Thanks for the feedback!  We haven't started it yet.  I'm hoping to print it out this weekend and do it next week. 

Also: don't know if this suits all y'all's families, but our household is doing the COVID Symptom Tracker app to help provide data for researchers.  It takes a few minutes to set up, then less a minute each day. 

Edited by serendipitous journey
  • Like 2

On 4/8/2020 at 5:45 AM, CuriousMomof3 said:

I can't decide if this looks anxiety provoking or anxiety alleviating.  I'm curious if anyone else is using it.

This also made me look at their other materials.  Has anyone used their Astronomy Level II?  It might be just what we need.  

We have with my oldest - he was 12 at the time.  He really disliked it.  I found it hard to implement successfully.  I don’t know if that’s 100 percent the program though.  He seems to be struggling with the jump to higher level science in general.  He doesn’t mind reading and doing experiments but really disliked the quizzes and writing.  And on my part it was the first year trying to run two full science curriculums and I really didn’t have enough time to supervise him.  This year he’s doing some Ellen McHenry unit studies and while he doesn’t love it he doesn’t hate it and it’s getting done.  What he really likes is a living book approach but I don’t have time to put it together.

• Like 1

On 4/11/2020 at 1:28 AM, Ausmumof3 said:

We have with my oldest - he was 12 at the time.  He really disliked it.  I found it hard to implement successfully.  I don’t know if that’s 100 percent the program though.  He seems to be struggling with the jump to higher level science in general.  He doesn’t mind reading and doing experiments but really disliked the quizzes and writing.  And on my part it was the first year trying to run two full science curriculums and I really didn’t have enough time to supervise him.  This year he’s doing some Ellen McHenry unit studies and while he doesn’t love it he doesn’t hate it and it’s getting done.  What he really likes is a living book approach but I don’t have time to put it together.

I don't know if you've seen Guest Hollow's lists?  Those, or maybe the science resources for the Build Your Library curriculum (BYL's History of Science year is one very popular option), can make it more open-and-go.   Just a couple of thoughts -- neither are likely to "solve" the problem, I know. 

Guest Hollow has optional Christian content and will not teach evolution or, I believe, an ancient earth.

Build Your Library is secular and will include evolutionary and ancient-earth content. 

• Like 1

Well, I tried the unit today and am disappointed in it.  Apparently the first bit is representative of Pandia Press' new "History Quest" program.  Hmmm. 

There is just very little actual information.  Neither of my children learned anything about the Black Death (first section) that they didn't know already, and I think the littler one has a lot of room to learn something new.  The subsequent section is on the Spanish Flu and COVID-19, and elder was very interested in this topic, but again: extraordinarily little information.  At least this section is intended to be rounded out by linked articles; today we were just working from hardcopies, tomorrow I'll begin chunking through the links and will try to report back after we've gone through it more thoroughly. 

I have a senior about to graduate, a sophomore in biology, and a ker. I think I will add this to our read aloud pile and do some of the activities with the ker. Thank you for posting!

ETA, just read through this, and it is exactly what I need to finish the year. I needed a lab day for Biology. We had done some, but I wanted to add some more. This is perfect to finish off her year. We actually needed to do some canning for a girl scout badge we are working on, and there is a canning activity too. We can knock out two birds with one stone!

Edited by 2_girls_mommy
  • Like 1

We've been using this for a week now.  I really like it.  We've enjoyed the linked articles and videos in the history section (the 1918 flu article from a medical journal was particularly insightful and interesting.  It was published pre-COVID).  It's been easy to adjust the level of difficulty.  It's been accessible for my 10yo and still meaty enough for my 12 year old - we've fallen down a few rabbit holes along the way, which is great.  It has stimulated a lot of really great learning!

• Like 1

On 4/14/2020 at 6:07 PM, serendipitous journey said:

Well, I tried the unit today and am disappointed in it.  Apparently the first bit is representative of Pandia Press' new "History Quest" program.  Hmmm. 

There is just very little actual information.  Neither of my children learned anything about the Black Death (first section) that they didn't know already, and I think the littler one has a lot of room to learn something new.  The subsequent section is on the Spanish Flu and COVID-19, and elder was very interested in this topic, but again: extraordinarily little information.  At least this section is intended to be rounded out by linked articles; today we were just working from hardcopies, tomorrow I'll begin chunking through the links and will try to report back after we've gone through it more thoroughly. 

Can you tell me how you get the links? I printed a hard copy, and there aren't any links to the articles, which is what I wanted my teens to read through tomorrow!

ETA... Ok, after panicking I found them in the teacher's guide. Sorry to bug you. 

Edited by 2_girls_mommy
  • Like 1

On 4/19/2020 at 2:55 PM, wathe said:

We've been using this for a week now.  I really like it.  We've enjoyed the linked articles and videos in the history section (the 1918 flu article from a medical journal was particularly insightful and interesting.  It was published pre-COVID).  It's been easy to adjust the level of difficulty.  It's been accessible for my 10yo and still meaty enough for my 12 year old - we've fallen down a few rabbit holes along the way, which is great.  It has stimulated a lot of really great learning!

Where do you find the links for the history section? I am new to this company, and we started this today. We got to page 16, and it says to read this article and gives questions, but there are no links. I am missing something!

ETA... asked too soon. I found them!

Edited by 2_girls_mommy
  • Like 1

Ok , guys, I am loving this. I have a Ker and teens. I agree the history isn't anything more than SOTW level, so it is nothing my teens need, but the articles and questions and labs are very good. And dd6 and I made a plague mask today and we will make the hand sanitizer and talk about the soap. It is all very good for her. And since we are also in a modern history year, the Spanish Flu articles are perfect. I also picked up the new Thinking Tree Economics workbook for my dd15 to do with her economics in the next year, but the last section of it is all about pandemic history and effects, so we are pairing it up with this. It works for finishing up some relevant modern history for my dd17 and for history and science labs for my dd15 and to alleviate worries for my dd6. I am loving this along with other freebies we have gotten during this pandemic to round out our year and change things up. It helps to have new things to do while being stuck at home. 

We have been slowly reading through the Story of Western Science by SWB, a chapter a week, and again, this goes perfectly with this unit and with dd15 doing Biology and all of us in a modern history world! Thanks for posting it.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...