Menu

Filling in holes in math concepts

Does anyone have any experience filling in holes in fundamental math principles for an older child?  We homeschooled our daughter for 10 years, then she went to public school for 2 years.  Now she's home again, but she can't do long division, large numbers substraction, or fraction work.  Are there any books or programs out there that easily efficiently target specific concepts in a situation like this?

I had my son take the Math U See placement test when he was halfway through sixth grade math using Saxon.  He placed into Beta (second grade).  We ran through Beta-Zeta (sixth grade) in six months.  The format of Math U See makes it really easy to find and fill holes.

I don't recommend Math U See for seventh grade and higher.

What level math is your daughter in?

Edited by EKS

CLE has some really great math review worksheet sets called "Math Skill Development Worksheets" listed under their Support Materials tab.  I used them a few years ago when my daughter was in 7th or 8th grade to fill in gaps.  If I remember correctly, they contain review sheets from Math 100 (~1st grade) to Math 800 (~8th grade).  

• Like 1

On March 26, 2020 at 5:47 PM, dgirlfriday said:

She has been doing algebra and pre-algebra, but has been struggling with the missing links.

Have you talked with the ps about it or asked them to eval to identify disabilities and see if she would benefit from a 504/IEP?

Sometimes going back and doing computation over and over and over is not helpful. Fractions she needs, yes. But 4 digit subtraction? Nope, use a calculator. Long division? Calculator. The fractions are concerning. But again, you'd like to know if this is because of ADHD or a Math SLD or what. My dd was one of those who was sort of crunchy on math, good but then turning around and struggling with facts or just bogged down. Turned out she had terribly low processing speed relative to IQ. So the math you're saying she sucks at is math that would bog down if she has low processing speed. It's why it's not necessarily a good plan to go back and do it again. But fractions, those should be using much simpler math and mainly multiplication facts. 

So ironically, ADHD meds did more for my dd's math than instruction did. That's why at this point you need evals, not curriculum, because you need to know WHY she's having so much trouble in spite of 10 years of good instruction and 2 years of reasonable instruction.

Ronit Bird has fractions materials. Use whatever you want. MUS could be good for her. But get evals so you know what's going on.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...