Menu

Third Grade Curriculum Help

TinyTribe

Good evening!

I am looking for some curriculum guidance and my head is currently spinning! I’ve been looking at prior posts for some guidance but many of them are much older posts. We just made a cross country move and I need a bit of breathing room where it is all laid out for me which is why I’m looking at options such as Sonlight, My Fathers World, Memoria Press, and so on.

My oldest is going to be entering third grade this upcoming school year and I am looking for a really well rounded year for her. I feel the need to “beef it up” more. I also have an upcoming 1st grader. Thus far, we have been using All About Reading, All About Spelling, and Right Start Math (which I plan to reuse with my 1st Grader). My 3rd Grader will have finished AAR4, AAS3, and RS C. I’m not sure I want to stick with Right Start for math from here on out. I’m also considering IEW or other options for spelling/writing/grammar.

Since I have my youngest tagging along for many of the topics, is there a program that anyone can suggest that they don’t feel is “dumbed down.” After reading the recent Sonlight post I’m a bit weary of going with them (I was looking at American History 1 which I believe is level D). I’m also wondering if anyone else switched after RS C and if so what did you use and how did it go? Or if you have stuck with it what did you eventually switch to and how did that go for upper grades?

Since we are younger homeschoolers and we haven’t used a boxed curriculum yet I’m hoping someone here may have some suggestions for me! Thank you advance. 🙏🏽

16 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

As the originator of the recent Sonlight thread I think you are referring to, I will clarify and say I do NOT think Sonlight's elementary curriculum is dumbed down in any way, shape or form. I actually think they did the right thing adjusting down there- they should simply not have adjusted up into high school imo, and that was my complaint. I think they had a good thing and they messed it up a bit on kicking what they did up to the high school levels (their pervious high school levels were/are GREAT). That being said,  I would not lean on them for Language Arts if you are hoping they are your all in one- they are not consistent with their LA- it changes all the time, so that is my only caveat there. Find a more consistent program for LA. Otherwise for readers and lit- if you want lit heavy and a schedule, there is no reason to avoid them. 

There are a lot of Sonlight-like programs out though now that people can chime in on from your list. I just wanted to clarify I do not think their elementary curriculum is dumbed down at all. 

I used RS for A, B, and part of C with middle and moved into Saxon math (which I know isn't a huge favorite here, so I won't try and sell it!) to cement math facts and supplement on the side with things like Hands on Equations for a challenge. 

How do you like to teach math? That would be a big question in what to switch to, as well as your children and how they learn. 

Thank you for the clarification! That certainly helps! I am open to any math curriculum that is solid and will preferably hold my hand along the way. Math is not my strength so I have enjoyed the hand holding Right Start offers but I tend to dread the subject. I’m sure that will happen with any curriculum. However, I have read that many tend to jump ship around level C. My main concern is that my dc are well prepared for higher level math so I’m looking for a very solid program even if it is cumbersome for me. Thankfully my husband is very good at math so he can always assist! 😄

We use Rightstart.

I haven't figured out why many seem to switch out after C. We didn't. I like Rightstart just fine. I'm very good at math and I'm impressed with how well it introduces quite advanced topics. And it continues to be scripted, so you don't need to fear not understanding it.

My oldest is almost into level H so I can't comment on how upper level math will go, I'm still trying to figure out what's next. I'm confident, however, that his preparation is solid.

Do you have a specific concern about Rightstart and how it's working, or is it only that other people have switched?

I currently use RS C and have read that D is so much review.  I believe many switch after C.  I am looking at Beast Academy 3A or possibly SIngapore 3.  I have been having my ds slowly go through the placement tests for both curriculum so that if and when I decide to switch, I know he can handle the new load.  I might still buy RS D because I do love the way they teach algorithms with the abacus.  I would love to see the lessons where they teach multi-digit multiplication and long division (I'm assuming that isn't til E).  I've always felt the teaching RS offers is top-notched, but in C it has been moving rather slow and doesn't feel very challenging anymore.  Another concern I've read about - RS waits a while to teach long division.  

13 hours ago, TinyTribe said:

Thank you for the clarification! That certainly helps! I am open to any math curriculum that is solid and will preferably hold my hand along the way. Math is not my strength so I have enjoyed the hand holding Right Start offers but I tend to dread the subject. I’m sure that will happen with any curriculum. However, I have read that many tend to jump ship around level C. My main concern is that my dc are well prepared for higher level math so I’m looking for a very solid program even if it is cumbersome for me. Thankfully my husband is very good at math so he can always assist! 😄

I'm a big fan of Rod and Staff Publishers' math series. It's *very* traditional, but that doesn't mean it is less than some of the more popular publishers. First through third grade depends on about 10 or 15 minutes of teaching, using the oral classtime lessons in the excellent teacher edition, after which the children do their seatwork independently. The first three grades have a different scope and sequence than some of the currently popular publishers; at fourth grade, however, it is on par with the others, except that the children have an *excellent* foundation in basic arithmetic.

Rod and Staff Publishers is Mennonite, and so there's no web site or email. You can call them at (606) 522-4348 and they'll be happy to answer any questions. There are free curriculum samples and scope and sequence, too.

• Like 1

My 5th child is going to be in 3rd gtade next year, and we've used AAR and AAS too. In 3rd I start with some IEW theme books (with the teacher training videos for me to know how to teach them) for composition and Fix It for grammar. We continue with AAS for spelling. I borrow from all sorts of reading lists for lit - some to read out loud with me for fluency and some for them to read on their own.

We use Math Mammoth and I find it very easy to teach from even though I'm not a strong math person myself. But if Right Start is working for your student I would be hesitant to change.

I personally enjoy picking and choosing different resources for each subject and putting it all together myself. But even so I often find myself drooling over My Father's World and Memorial Press. They are very different in philosophy and approach, but they are so shiny and self contained and all put together 😁. I don't think you could go wrong with either.

I never considered Sonlight for us because when I started hs'ing I had an 8th, 6th, 4th, and K'er and my current 3rd grader was a toddler and I wanted to combine them as much as I could, and the Cores didn't seem to lend themselves well to that. But since then I've heard of other people successfully combining kids with Sonlight, so I was probably wrong about that.

I am using RightStart e2. My oldest is just finishing up D this year for 3rd grade. I've loved it. Almost every lesson has some independent parts and it flows nicely. I've pared it with multiplication facts that stick and also made up a few of my own drill pages as i don't do games well at all! I was about ready to quit after C last year and am so glad I didnt. My daughter is finishing up B this year also. I think C is my least favorite level. It is complicated and parent intensive ( moreso in my opnion than A, B or D). I'd say if its working try D at least for 2 months. That's just my 2 cents.  Ive changed math programs in the past and i really see the benifit of sticking to one. They all build a bit differently...not saying you can't switch, but it's really easier not to.

For history, I really like simply charlotte masons guides. They are just the right amount of structure and are a light enough schedule that if we have time and motivation I add to it.