Menu

Struggling Writer

TracyR

Okay. Please , please tell me there is something out there for a struggling writer. My 10 yr old is going to be the death of me. She really is. I've tried quite a few writing programs and just nothing seems to be working for her. She still doesn't put punctuation where it needs to be , she still doesn't know where to begin with her thoughts. What do I do?

Can anyone suggest something for me? I've heard IEW is good but its WAY, Way out of our budget. We've used Writing Tales but she still isn't able to write other forms of writing yet. Just can retell tales. Which is good to a point but not good that she isn't able to write other types of compositions. If she is given an assignment of something such as " Tell about someone who has helped you in your life." She just goes blank and on shut down.

HELP! :confused:

Maybe you can take a look at Four Square Writing as a way for your DD to get her ideas out on paper in an organized way. As for punctuation, that is more an issue of grammar than a writing program. I think both Shurley English or Hake Grammar may cover the basics enough in their review at the beginning of their books that your DD may catch on.

Okay. Please , please tell me there is something out there for a struggling writer. My 10 yr old is going to be the death of me. She really is. I've tried quite a few writing programs and just nothing seems to be working for her. She still doesn't put punctuation where it needs to be , she still doesn't know where to begin with her thoughts. What do I do?

Can anyone suggest something for me? I've heard IEW is good but its WAY, Way out of our budget. We've used Writing Tales but she still isn't able to write other forms of writing yet. Just can retell tales. Which is good to a point but not good that she isn't able to write other types of compositions. If she is given an assignment of something such as " Tell about someone who has helped you in your life." She just goes blank and on shut down.

HELP! :confused:

Writing Strands, Level 3.

Or Spalding, which would not only help with basic things like punctuation, but will also teach grammar and composition in a very directed fashion.

I'm pretty sure that I never had an assignment like "Tell about someone who has helped you in your life" when I was only 10. That's really pretty vague for a 10yo, don't you think?

Tell about someone who has helped you in your life." She just goes blank and on shut down.

That is EXACTLY what i don't like about most "writing" programs. There is no writing instruction there. Only writing prompts. Writing prompts are all over the place in homeschooling -- in narration and notebooking and etc.

You named a range of things -- from not knowing what to write to not punctuating. I'd evaluate her biggest obstacle & start there.

If it's grammar details such as punctuation, then I'd start with sentences. Lots of sentences, one at a time. Then have her go back & edit for punct or caps or whatever, one at a time. As you see she doesn't understand a rule, you can teach it. Typing is a nice way to not have to re-do everything when it comes to editing.

If it's knowing what to write, I'd start with summarizing something specific such as narration of history readings. IEW does this, but you can also see if you can get her to summarize a paragraph you have just read on your own.

If you want her to work on creative writing, Writing STrands has very specific & manageable lessons. Never do they ask you just to write about X. There is always instruction, examples, and one very small step of writing at a time.

And finally, remember that she's 10. You still have time.

Take heart- shes not way off, she is quite within a normal range, but I can relate to your anxiety about it. My now ds13 was atrocious at 10, and now can write a reasonable paragraph or even a page sometimes. its still a struggle, but its ok and getting easier.

I would stop looking for the miracle writing program that will turn your reluctant and budding writer into a wonderful competent writer. Sometimes people stumble on them, an approach that works. But I havent. I have had to filter everything I have learned from various writing programs, from Classical Writing (which by the way worked very well for ds up to a point- imitative writing can be really good ), to Writing Strands, to the Bravewriter approach. Bravewriter is not a writing program, it is an approach to writing, and it is useful.

My son could write very little at age 10. Handwriting was atrocious, barely legible. He learned to write on the computer and I really recommend that because it makes editing so much easier.

He did a year and a bit I think doing CW Aesop. He has done a lot of freewriting (as explained in Writer's Jungle, but also you can work it out from the Bravewriter website- its not complicated). He has learned to write narrations. He still does copywork and just this year, his handwriting has taken a great leap and is happily legible and sometimes even beautiful. He has done lots of dictation.

Have you listened to SWB's Writing Without Fear CD? That is very useful.

I think its worth having an overview- Bravewriter, and Writing Without Fear, both give you an overview- rather than a specific day to day program. (Both have different overviews, though, but intend to get to the same destination of a competent writer).

Letting my son write freely without correcting every bitty detail has been important to free up his flow. Some things we edit with a fine tooth comb. Usually we focus on one or two things each assignment. His grammar and punctuation are pretty good nowadays.

It hasnt been my experience that any one program, followed as written, has worked for any great length of time. Its ok to change programs, to not use a program- be the teacher, trust yourself, dont be too critical, let her find her voice and have her write daily, but not too much.