Menu

Deciding On A College

Reefgazer

DD got into several colleges and is now in the process of deciding where to attend.All of the colleges she was accepted into offered a financial package, and most want her to log in to an account and accept the award.  I am not sure of protocol here, so I have a few questions:

1.  For those colleges she has eliminated from consideration, should she ignore the "accept the award" link, or write an email to decline the offer to admissions/financial aid?

2.  Deadline for putting a deposit down is May 1.  Is there an advantage to putting down a deposit early?

3.  Has anyone ever put a deposit down on two colleges (one as a backup) in case something goes awry at the last minute with their first choice?  Besides forfeiting $200, what are the positive and negative implications of this for her?

Timely topic. I'm interested as well. 

I can't quote any specific source, but I've long understood it is seriously frowned upon (fraudulent?) to put down a deposit at more than one college. And schools can/do find out if you've double-deposited but I don't know the mechanics of that. Some colleges DS has been accepted to state they will give you a refund though if you change your mind by a certain date (May 1).  So theoretically you can pay a deposit at your first choice, but then cancel and ask for it back (if they do refunds) and pay a deposit at a second college if you do it all before the deadline? I understand the timing is critical - can't have two "active" deposits at the same time . . . ?

Curious to hear BTDT experience from others.

ETA: Double-depositing feels wrong to me, but here are some links for consideration: 

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/is-double-depositing-wron_b_5009949

https://thescholarshipsystem.com/blog-for-students-families/college-decision-time-double-deposits-ethical/

https://professionals.collegeboard.org/guidance/applications/ethics

https://jlvcollegecounseling.com/2016/04/18/are-you-considering-double-depositing/

Edited by TarynB
  • Like 1

As for your question #2, we have seen some advantages at some schools to paying the deposit before May 1. For instance, at one of the schools on DS's list, you can't register for a summer appointment in new student orientation, which is where you'll enroll in fall classes, until you've paid your deposit. That summer appointment slot registration opens tomorrow (Feb 3) for everyone who has already deposited, obviously well in advance of the May 1 decision deadline. So first-come, first-served appointments for freshman fall enrollment is dependent on paying your deposit ASAP, at that school.

Edited by TarynB
  • Like 1

The colleges often offer some sort of mechanism for declining admission. If you can figure that out, she could go that route, or, if you have a contact person in admissions, she can send an e mail.

I know people do worry about declining admission in a timely fashion with the thought that it opens up financial aid money for someone else. But the truth is that colleges generally don't work that way. They offer these scholarships anticipating that a certain number will turn them down.

Some colleges do offer certain advantages for depositing early as far as housing and such. Sometimes you can even put down a housing deposit without committing fully to the school (I vaguely recall that UKentucky had that situation a few years ago.)

I wouldn't personally double deposit, other than perhaps a housing deposit as described above.

• Like 3

I seem to remember that the Common App has some sort of statement that the student agrees to that says they won't commit to more than one school or they risk forfeiting their spots at all colleges.

My DD#1 put down a housing deposit at her #1 choice fairly early because she really didn't like the majority of housing. But, it didn't require committing to the school. She lost $25 that was non-refundable bit got back the majority. She put down a housing deposit at another U that she ended up attending. The second place didn't have a mechanism for accepting admission exactly -- you could put down a housing deposit, accept your awards, and eventually register for orientation. That's how they figured out who was attending!

• Like 3