Menu

Miss Americana

MEmama

I watched. It was mildly interesting but didn’t feel like she showed much emotion.  Her eating disorder, always being ‘the good girl’ and skirting around her dating history...all her private business, but I thought that’s why she was doing the documentary- to shed light on what she’s gone through.   It didn’t even show any struggle to become famous. Most shows like that at least  highlight the struggle to get ‘discovered’. 
I had forgotten that Kanye was booed when he pulled that stunt.  So I did learn that.  
Why do you suppose she even agreed to let her name be used in his song?  That was a bad decision- she should have just said no because protecting her image is a priority and Kanye...well, ya know...

She works really hard and is clearly super talented.  

What did you think? I was super tired and drifted off to sleep right after so I might not have paid enough attention to be a good judge of what I saw. G

Edited by Annie G

I thought it was *fantastic*.

Far from self serving, I found it honest and raw. I’ll admit I was emotionally spent by the end. Her brutally honest take on our toxic culture, the patriarchy and sexual assault hit my every nerve, bringing up so many memories and emotions to the surface. I love that her mother believes her. We aren’t all so fortunate.

I've only recently gotten into her music (I’m totally hooked) so I didn’t know anything about all the hate thrown her way. Although of course that’s our culture toward successful women, so it’s not a surprise. I get that this is her story, but wow. I have so much respect for her, for her “coming out” as it were, from young star to a madly influential political voice. 

• Like 2

I should watch again when I’m not so tired.  I’ve done that with This is Us- watched when I was too tired and had to watch again when Dd tells me how emotional it was.

I wish I understood things like how the rights to her music got sold. I’ve read some articles but it still puzzles me. 

I never said the documentary was self serving.  Just because she doesn’t bare all doesn’t mean that. It’s totally her life to keep private or share. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Annie G said:

I should watch again when I’m not so tired.  I’ve done that with This is Us- watched when I was too tired and had to watch again when Dd tells me how emotional it was.

I wish I understood things like how the rights to her music got sold. I’ve read some articles but it still puzzles me. 

I never said the documentary was self serving.  Just because she doesn’t bare all doesn’t mean that. It’s totally her life to keep private or share. 

Oh, I’m sorry that I made it sound like I was implying you did—I totally didn’t mean to. I’ve read reviews where people complain that it was self serving; I guess I was addressing those but obviously I wasn’t clear. 

I don’t understand the music rights either. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alisoncooks said:

My 13 year old loves TS. What would you say the intended audience is for this doc? (Tween fan friendly?)

I think it depends on your family culture.

There’s language, but not much. There’s a photo that is disturbing though not graphic by any means, but it’s within the context of TS standing up to fight for justice (so maybe you are having those discussions already, but maybe not?).

I can’t think of much else that might be potentially objectionable. The main themes center around her taking control of her life; it’s very positive messaging and on point for most tweens or teens I think. 

• Like 2

I just finished it and enjoyed it. Entertaining and nicely done. I appreciated the appearance of kittens and a Very Large Dog. 🙂 

There is no question that Taylor Swift is an absolutely brilliant songwriter. Our whole family enjoys her music. 

I found her to be relatable and likable. I appreciate her work ethic. I'm glad that she spoke up about her sexual assault and then didn't let it go.

I do think she missed the mark in choosing how to best support human rights. I wouldn't have supported either candidate. 😉Admittedly I have no faith in politics as a means for change.

Edited by MercyA