Menu

Getting new carpet - can't bear the thought of all the work

alisoncooks

We have to replace a part of our living room floor due to a sagging/water damaged subfloor. (This is part of an ongoing saga; we've already done the kitchen and the master bath.)

We figure we'll replace the LR carpet since its old and stained and we have to pull it up anyway to fix the subfloor. But once we do that, I'm wondering if I should have the bedroom carpets replaced as well. (We have a very small, 1-level home with same carpet throughout the LR and BRs.)

The thing is, I can't bear the thought of the work it'll require. Each bedroom has a full-wall bookshelf (anchored to wall), full of books, and tons of stuff in each room. (My kids and DH are pack rats.) We have no garage, so where does it all go??  Do we do one room at a time and just shift it all from from to room? Get a POD/storage thing and put everything outside and do it all in one huge disruption?  Leave the bedrooms as they are (they're not *that* bad...but the carpet has wrinkled a bit, plus would that be an eyesore? To have different carpets, one new and some old adjacent?)

Have you replaced carpet in an occupied home? What was your strategy?  Was it super terrible?

I would absolutely get a pod or rent storage space. When it was time to dismantle our school room with all it's shelves, books, desks, etc., that's what we did. We didn't sort it as we pulled it out. Once the room was done with painting and other updates, we slowly moved what we still wanted back in and got rid of the rest. But having it out of the house and not seeing it every day really helped with my stress level.

ETA: I totally get the stress. My son moved out over a year ago and I so dread redoing his room that I haven't even started yet. I think I'm going to have give myself some rules, such as working for 15 min a day, and then slowly increase it as time goes by otherwise I'm never getting that room done.

Edited by stephanier.1765
  • Like 2