Menu

Christian Apologetics resources?

Ds is 7. He is questioning a lot of what we believe as Christians. He is struggling with being the minority where we live. Any good books or resources for elementary apologetics? Any good resources or books about being different than other families? If I google that last one I find nothing relating to being the religious minority..... 

I'm not sure whether seven is really old enough to appreciate apologetics.  And especially good apologetics.

Could you say something more about what his questions are, or are there specific things that bother him?  There might be some more specific sorts of things that are appropriate.

One thing I would say is that while it can feel weird to be part of a minority, it's important for young people Christ in the worship or religious community they belong to, to be able to value that., to feel they belong there.  

• Like 1

I like this series. We are in the middle of the first book.

http://www.casemakersacademy.com/

My kids started last fall. We should be finished with it by now, but with the holidays and sicknesses, we just haven't.  My kids are 10 and 9 years old.

There's a bit of logic, so far. One may have to do a little bit more explaining to a 7 yo. I think it is doable.

51 minutes ago, Bluegoat said:

I'm not sure whether seven is really old enough to appreciate apologetics.  And especially good apologetics.

Could you say something more about what his questions are, or are there specific things that bother him?  There might be some more specific sorts of things that are appropriate.

One thing I would say is that while it can feel weird to be part of a minority, it's important for young people Christ in the worship or religious community they belong to, to be able to value that., to feel they belong there.  

His questions are things like:

How do we know Jesus was real? 

I can't see God so how do I know he is there. 

What if Jesus was just a prophet and you (meaning me mom) think all wrong? 

God doesn't always answer my prayers how do I know he even listens to me? 

Why do women cover their heads? Why don't you cover for God? 

For apologetics, perhaps the What We Believe series, which starts with Who Is God.

For being a religious minority... possibly read some *quality* missionary biographies, as missionaries are often the *only* believers in the community in which they serve. So, role models to feel connected to, but also to reaffirm God's working in the lives of His people, even when you're not personally seeing/feeling His presence in those dry or dark seasons.

And again, *quality* biographies... For example, I know they mean well, but I just can't stand the superficial and rote approach of the Benge missionary stories, and it ends up making the missionaries feel "whitewashed" which is a real disservice to them, IMO. Two that we read when DSs were around your DS's age, that showed missionaries who were all alone in the culture in which they were planted: And the Word Came With Power (Shetler) -- one of the better written books -- and one on Gladys Aylward (can't remember which version -- not as well written, but her life story is riveting).

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We love the "What is God Like?" picture book series by Dr. William Lane Craig. It's a series of 10 picture books, each featuring an attribute of God (God is Spirit, God is Everywhere, God is Forever, God is Self-Sufficient, etc.) Start with "God is Spirit" and go in order because they build on each other. We started these when my oldest was around 5 or 6 and he still enjoys them at 9.

https://www.amazon.com/God-Spirit-Dr-Craig/dp/1480037621

• Like 1