Menu

Have you tried Imperfect Foods?

BlsdMama

We tried it. It was fine, but it was more than what we could eat before it went bad (2 adults, 1 child).  Sometimes the boxes incorporated produce we were not used to eating, (fennel, for example).  I then had to come up with recipes that could use what was delivered. 

It's a nice concept, but it wasn't the right fit for us. 

We did Imperfect Produce for a while a few years ago. The prices were comparable to a supermarket but more expensive that our local produce market.

For us, it really helped me to not have to go to the produce store weekly. I was able to focus on every-other-week or even less supermarket runs where I'd get things that were shelf-stable or freezable. It was lovely to cut out that extra errand during the week and kept us eating more fruits and vegetables because they just showed up weekly.

I stopped using the  service when I had life better under control and was able to look forward to going to the produce store instead of dreading it. Also, I realized that I really valued the small, family-run produce store and that if I needed to spend my money at places I valued.

Emily

We did Imperfect Produce for a while a few years ago. The prices were comparable to a supermarket but more expensive that our local produce market.

For us, it really helped me to not have to go to the produce store weekly. I was able to focus on every-other-week or even less supermarket runs where I'd get things that were shelf-stable or freezable. It was lovely to cut out that extra errand during the week and kept us eating more fruits and vegetables because they just showed up weekly.

I stopped using the  service when I had life better under control and was able to look forward to going to the produce store instead of dreading it. Also, I realized that I really valued the small, family-run produce store and that if I needed to spend my money at places I valued.

Emily

Edited by EmilyGF

9 hours ago, MissLemon said:

We tried it. It was fine, but it was more than what we could eat before it went bad (2 adults, 1 child).  Sometimes the boxes incorporated produce we were not used to eating, (fennel, for example).  I then had to come up with recipes that could use what was delivered. 

It's a nice concept, but it wasn't the right fit for us. 

When I used the service, I was able to choose what foods and amounts I wanted each week. Sometimes I would try things that were a bit odd for us (broccolini, for instance), but I always had the choice of choosing "zero" of any given food.

15 hours ago, EmilyGF said:

When I used the service, I was able to choose what foods and amounts I wanted each week. Sometimes I would try things that were a bit odd for us (broccolini, for instance), but I always had the choice of choosing "zero" of any given food.

Yes, I was able to choose as well.  Maybe selection varies on area, but I often found that once I eliminated the produce we weren't likely to eat, there wasn't much left to bother with a delivery.