Menu

Best places to download legal free MP3 music?

Emba

So I got my kids MP3 players for Christmas.  They both used to have one, and then the players broke.  When they had them before, I did as well, though I haven't used an MP3 player for a couple of years now because I have a smartphone and I use apps like Pandora, and Overdrive for audiobooks.  Before, if i purchased or got free MP3 files from Amazon, I could download them and put them on the device easily and for free.  Now it looks like if you want to download the files, you have to pay for some monthly service from Amazon, download an app, etc.  I am not willing to pay a monthly fee for something that I'm not going to use, and my kids are very loath to spend Christmas money on music tracks or services.

Where are the best places to download free MP3 files that I can put on thier players?  DD likes bluegrass and country, DS likes rock, I think.

Artists, including musicians and composers, deserve to be paid for their content.  You would need to purchase music via CD and load it into the MP3 player, or purchase digital content to load via an app.  We buy Spotify Premium Family for $12/month, and each family member in the house can create and download their own playlists.  I wish content creators were paid more per listen, but it is the best we can do for now.  We support our favorite artists through concert tickets and merchandise purchases as well.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Amy in NH said:

Artists, including musicians and composers, deserve to be paid for their content.  You would need to purchase music via CD and load it into the MP3 player, or purchase digital content to load via an app.  We buy Spotify Premium Family for $12/month, and each family member in the house can create and download their own playlists.  I wish content creators were paid more per listen, but it is the best we can do for now.  We support our favorite artists through concert tickets and merchandise purchases as well.

Well, aside from the lecture, and I won't argue that artists DON'T deserve to be paid for their content, what you are saying is not entirely true.  Sometimes there are tracks that artists make available for free download.  That's what I'm asking about.   I'm not under some mistaken impression that we can get whatever they want for free, but there are sources of legal free music available, and I'd like to know if anyone knows where/what they are.  I mean, I have tracks I've purchased through Amazon a year or two ago that I can no longer download without paying for an additional service from them, and I find that irritating. 

• Like 1

if you've purchased the music from Amazon, it appears that you can download the music as a zip file.  I went to Your Orders > Digital Orders  and then found the order.  On the right hand side of that order there was a "Download Music" button I could select.

It's been years since I purchased music & downloaded;  I usually just use the app.  So I hope it still works for you.

If you have amazon prime, there's free music available to download through the app; I don't know if you can download those outside the app.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If you don't object to new/little known music, some of Free Music Archive was saved to archive.org before transferring ownership (the FMA website has not been fully functional for some time).  Archive.org is clunky and hard to search, though.  Click on an album to see your download options.

https://archive.org/details/freemusicarchive

Whenever (if ever...) FMA is back up and running, you'll have access to nearly 10x as many tracks with much better search/filtering options.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/11/7/18073346/free-music-archive-closing-wfmu-creative-commons-cheyenne-hohman

https://freemusicarchive.org/static

• Like 1