Menu

Co-op history class: how to rev it up?

I'm teaching some co-op classes this year; one is the ever popular and tremendously exciting Canadian History (not!) Our "spine" for the course is Canada: A People's History--the students read the book and we watch portions of the DVDs to accompany the text. I do have a Teacher's Guide produced by the CBC (producers of the CAPH series) which selects only certain episodes for watching/ discussion, but I've been disappointed by the choices--almost all focus on "political correctness", aboriginal rights, etc (not that I am against aboriginal rights; just that I wish there were more variety in the focus). After reading/ watching, we "discuss" (translation: I ask a bunch of questions which the students try to answer, some more enthusiastically than others!) and they have occasional short home assignments. All in all, it feels quite dry and dull to me (perhaps because I have never been a history fan....) as well as to the kids, I suspect--but I don't know how to "rev it up." I've given them a larger assignment --a Canadian history project to be presented in a couple of weeks with text and illustrations on a display board--but I can't for the life of me think of how to make this course more engaging. Unfortunately, we do not have time to meet more than once a week, so having them work together on anything, such as a creative dialogue, would not be possible given everyone's already over-full schedules.

I guess what my question boils down to is: how on earth do *you* make history interesting and engaging for your students? What can be done in a group/ class setting to liven up interest in the material and make it come alive memorably for the kids? Or is "exciting Canadian history" an oxymoron, along the lines of "jumbo shrimp"? Any advice welcome!

Gosh, I know so little about actual Canadian History that I can only answer generally, but I will try.

First, are you teaching chronologically? Maybe that's a stupid question, but I know some history classes are theme-based. Can you give an overview of what you want to cover each week--a brief outline? I can maybe help you plug in activities then.

Just in general, try adding in some hands-on things, like regional or historical cooking, costume-making, pioneer-type crafts, that sort of thing. Give a little "flavor" of the different time periods. My own son, while studying American immigration, received the name and basic information about an immigrant (in the 20's) and had to dress like him, bring one item he would use that told something about him, and pass thru an Ellis-Island-like simulation station. We will never forget William Fabarquor, that's for sure! He also had to write a 10-entry journal, detailing the trip, the reasons for leaving Germany (at the time), and things like that. It was a great way to pull together the information ds had to learn about immigration in the 20's. Kids really had fun.

Is there something in Canadian history like that?

Could you set up a debate about the whole French Canadian thing--separatists and such and the reasons for staying together and not staying together? Give everyone a role or something?

Just some ideas--please post with more details of what subjects/periods you are covering, and I'll try to help you.

How about biographies or historical novels set in Canada to supplement the spine. Are there any Nova or history channel documentaries on Canadian history or historical figures?

It is hard to teach a subject you are not interested in. Why did you choose to teach it? I suggest you find a way to become interested in your subject. Have you read the whole spine and watched all of the potential dvd sections so you can determine the most interesting things to focus on? The more background you have the easier it will be to teach and lead discussions.

What age is this for?

...in grade 9 in schools here; I have always ensured that we covered the equivalent in our studies, even if not in the same high school grade. And two other moms wanted their kids to do Can,History this year too, so I took it on. Actually, the CAPH books are interesting enough to me, and the kids are not complaining about the material they read/ watch --it's just that I don't know what to do in the class time after we have read the text at home. It all seems so--obvious! that there's not much to say.

We're covering pretty much all of Canadian history, chronologically, from the first European arrivals to the present day. The issue of Canadian historical fiction (appropriate for this age group) is a vexed one--very hard to find something appropriate for them to read. And of course, they are already complaining about the *huge* amount of work they already need to do for the course (reading 20-30 pp a week, and sometimes a one-page paper on a given topic, including creative writing responses). As for crafts, cooking, costumes--did I mention that half the class of six is teenage *boys*?? Enough said.

All I've decided so far is to read ahead over the holidays so that I can come up with a list of topics/ people on which they will all do short in-class presentations (and if the boys do want to dress up as pioneers then, more power to 'em).

Plodding on!

I'm not expecting to be much help - lol, but I am reading and excellent book about David Thompson who was a British man who came to American for (I think) the Hudson Bay Co (fur trading) and about halfway switched over to the Canadian Fur Co (name is close, not exact). Anyway, he did a lot of exploration in Canada and the Hudson Bay area. THe book is called Sources of the River and I suppose this really isn't that helpful - but it is Fascinating!

Are you using a timeline? I agree with the hands on ideas. Also I believe greatly in salt dough map making. I think it helps students to remember geography as well. I think the boys would enjoy the map making. Also some super creative boys might want to do it with legos???

Good luck!

lisa

IF you are truly finding the subject "covered" in your classtime, what about finding some interesting "read aloud" to do at the end of class - if you just need what I call "cheap filler".

Thanks for the thoughts. In fact, we just covered Thompson (the other company was the North West Co, but close enough!)

I guess what's somewhat frustrating is that: 1) we really do not have time (or inclination, with most of them) to do hands-on activities/ crafts; 2) we don;t have time to *do* history, in the sense of wading through prodigious amounts of primary source material and having students determine on their own what they think is significant and why, etc. The CAPH books/ DVDs do include primary documents, fortunately, so that helps, but we simply can't go deeply enough into evaluating the material. My two sons in the class are also doing Canadian Geogrpahy this year; and all the kids are keeping timelines with Canadian and world history events included. aside from that, I'm at a loss re how to do anythig other than present them with received information and leave it at that.

Just a quick note re Canadian historical fiction: I do highly recommend the film version of the novel Black Robe by Brian Moore, about the Jesuits among the aboriginal peoples of New France (though you would have to preview it as there are three brief scenes inapproriate for teenagers). The novel is also excellent except that it demonstrates accurately the extremely crude language used by many of the native people at the time (so not an appropriate read for youth unless that doesn't bother you; oddly the film does not include the crude language). I found it a deeply moving story which does not whitewash either side of the native/ European equation.

Have you done socratic circles in past lit classes you've taught? Would adding socratic circles make a more interesting discussion? I use it in my lit class. I would like eventually for the students to take over the role as leader, but so far I've had to make up the questions.

Here's a link to socratic discussion and history:

http://www.plsweb.com/resources/newsletters/enews_archives/54/2006/08/07/

Welcome back by the way!! :party:

Edited by Michelle in AL
corrected link!

Hey Stacey,

My kids are in history classes at co-op. I think their favorite activity is Jeapordy, which the teachers use to review and wrap up a unit. This is for boys (I know you have a few ;) ) all of whom love the competition.

Then there's always the dress-up-and-present-on-a-character project. While it may seem goofy for 9th graders, it might break up the lecture/semi-discussion rhythm. Y'all could tape it and publish on You Tube? That might motivate them!

Glad to see you back!

Lisa

Have you done socratic circles in past lit classes you've taught? Would adding socratic circles make a more interesting discussion? I use it in my lit class. I would like eventually for the students to take over the role as leader, but so far I've had to make up the questions.

Here's a link to socratic discussion and history:

http://www.911tabs.com/link/?3334772

Welcome back by the way!! :party:

Hey Stacey,

My kids are in history classes at co-op. I think their favorite activity is Jeapordy, which the teachers use to review and wrap up a unit. This is for boys (I know you have a few ;) ) all of whom love the competition.

Then there's always the dress-up-and-present-on-a-character project. While it may seem goofy for 9th graders, it might break up the lecture/semi-discussion rhythm. Y'all could tape it and publish on You Tube? That might motivate them!

Glad to see you back!

Lisa

...but I can't see them wanting to dress up in historical garb for class!! (believe me, I've asked). The class is actually made up of students from gr 8-11, so most are a ways past wanting to do dress-up (unless they are actually on stage, which is another matter). Thanks, though, for the Jeopardy suggestion--I had quite forgotten about that sort of thing (used it a few years ago). I will have to prepare something along those lines over the holidays! Or--even better--have the kids prepare Jeopardy history questions while I sit back smugly and then use them !

The only actual suggestion I've received from my sons to rev up the classes? Candy.

To the extent that you address multiple interpretations of events, divide the class into sides and have some members argue for different possible understandings.

I'm no expert on Canadian politics, but one question is minority rights. For example: a yes or no debate on the question: "Canada's policy toward minorities is fair to both the minority and the majority"

or, to be more controversial: Yes or No: "The historical relationship between English and French speaking Canadians justifies Quebecois separatism."

These sorts of activities will encourage critical thinking, particularly because students know they will be expected to support their "side" of the debate. This format can work with alot of different issues. Another possibility is to look at how well a text deals with an issue. But this will require more reading.

If you go this route, WILL KYMLICKA's work will be of interest (for you, its beyond most ninth graders) http://post.queensu.ca/~kymlicka/biog.html

too funny! That would be about par for my house. Hey, guitar playing might be fun!

Seriously, here's the link...

http://www.plsweb.com/resources/newsletters/enews_archives/54/2006/08/07/

I think I'm just gonna dump the politically correct TM and include more questions along the lines suggested in the page you linked (the non-guitar page!,,,though I imagine my 16 yr old son might enjoy the tabs.)

From left field here...but what about choosing a turning point event and writing (or discussing) alternative history paths? What if the French had won out instead of the English...would there be an Accadian state in Quebec? What if the Northwest Territories had been taken over by the gold-rush influx? (And that's most of what I know about Canadian history right there! Sorry for being so uninformed.) Or perhaps you could assign the point in time and characters to include and then let them take it from there?

I've been impressed by how much alt. hist. writers need to know in order to create their scenarios. Anyway, it would be more fun to read than standard history essays.

...Nice to "see" you! That's a great idea...and something I'd love to read...though I can't picture the kids putting in the time to work out realistic scenarios. And I know I don't know enough about history to know whether or not their scenarios would be accurate! But maybe that's not what needs to count in such an exercise--maybe letting their imaginations get to work would be worthwhile if it got them engaged...? I'll add this to my list of potential ideas for next semester.

What if you assigned interesting topics each week that 3 people had to research and be prepared to report on. It can be short and informal, just that they've found out about Topic Y and can tell the class about it.

...Yup, I think I'll be doing something along those lines. Some short reports sprinkled in, with a larger project at the end. We just didn't get up enough steam this (shorter) first semester to do that--partly because we only have 6 students in the class, partly because a couple of them missed classes for various reasons, etc. I'm planning to clamp down on them come January!