Menu

I think someone broke my bread machine

school17777

I don’t use it often.  I tried making a loaf in the fall for soup, but it failed.  I assumed user error.  Today, I tried the same recipe and I made sure the container was pushed down all the way and all the right selections were made.  I could hear it turning, but I didn’t see the mixture turning, so I took out the container and watched the gear - it was spinning, then I saw it was cracked along the inside and I have no idea if it was that way before, but looks like it was dropped.  Dd has it at school last year since I could make bread the old fashioned way.  

I salvaged the dough by finishing mixing/kneading in the food processor and I put it back in the machine to rise and bake.  Looks like that is working.  I’m disappointed because I don’t use it enough to justify buying a new one, but it was convenient to dump and bake.  At least can probably repeat how I did it today by starting in the food processor and finishing in the bread machine.

Edited by school17777

If you're mixing in the food processor, you might as well finish the bread in the oven.  The crust is better that way and you've already lost most of the convenience of having a bread machine. Once I got my stand mixer I never really used my bread machine again.  

You could also experiment with no knead bread if you want to make it even easier.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dotwithaperiod said:

I’m sorry. Do you have any good thrift stores near you? The Goodwill in a college town near here has the best selection of small appliances. I found a spotless Zojirushi a couple weeks ago for $8, so I gave my son the Williams Sonoma one I bought a few years ago at a resale. Bread machines seem to be one that gets donated because of lack of use, which suits me fine!

WOW. You found a Zujirushi for $8??? Score!!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dotwithaperiod said:

I’m sorry. Do you have any good thrift stores near you? The Goodwill in a college town near here has the best selection of small appliances. I found a spotless Zojirushi a couple weeks ago for $8, so I gave my son the Williams Sonoma one I bought a few years ago at a resale. Bread machines seem to be one that gets donated because of lack of use, which suits me fine!

We do have a Goodwill around.  I hardly ever have a chance to run around to different stores though.

6 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

If you're mixing in the food processor, you might as well finish the bread in the oven.  The crust is better that way and you've already lost most of the convenience of having a bread machine. Once I got my stand mixer I never really used my bread machine again.  

You could also experiment with no knead bread if you want to make it even easier.

I was going to bake it in the oven, but I wanted it to rise in the machine because I didn’t have time to mess with the rise and I wasn’t sure if my machine would stop after the rise and not bake it.  I think if I selected just bread dough it would have, but I’ve never tried that before.  On Thursdays, I have a three year old who wants my constant attention so I need convenience even though I’m home.