Menu

Remember my holiday rant?

MaBelle

About my sil keeping the Christmas dishes from my mother that I wanted to add to my own set?

Today sis and dil and I were junking/antiquing and found my dinner plates.  I asked how much they cost and was told they were on sale for $4 each.  These plates cost anywhere from $35 to $50 each and more.  I snatched up four (should have bought all eight)

After I had bought and paid and gotten my change the saleslady discovered she had priced them wrong.  They were $24 or so each.  I got them at $4 anyway.  Whoop, whoop!!

So now I have enough for everyone for Christmas.

Edited by MaBelle
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Seasider too said:

Wow! I love stories like that. 

I’m thinking it was the same pattern you found, but is there a chance it was actually the same dishes? As in, did she ditch them? I realize that’s unlikely, but...stranger things have happened. 

No chance in hell.   She's in Alabama,  I'm in Kansas.  I felt sort of bad for the saleslady that made the mistake but I kept them anyway!!

"My' pattern is Cuthbertson Christmas tree.  VERY similar to Spode, which is what my mom had snatched.  

P0000229528S0001T1.jpg

41AZP2DC4XL._AC_.jpg

Edited by MaBelle
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, MaBelle said:

About my sil keeping the Christmas dishes from my mother that I wanted to add to my own set?

Today sis and dil and I were junking/antiquing and found my dinner plates.  I asked how much they cost and was told they were on sale for $4 each.  These plates cost anywhere from $35 to $50 each and more.  I snatched up four (should have bought all eight)

After I had bought and paid and gotten my change the saleslady discovered she had priced them wrong.  They were $24 or so each.  I got them at $4 anyway.  Whoop, whoop!!

So now I have enough for everyone for Christmas.

How did she "discover that she had priced them wrong"?

23 minutes ago, unsinkable said:

How did she "discover that she had priced them wrong"?

I think another saleslady looked over her shoulder and noticed something amiss.  The prices weren't on the plates, they were on some list where all the different pieces were listed.  But by that time she had wrapped and given me the plates.

13 minutes ago, MaBelle said:

I think another saleslady looked over her shoulder and noticed something amiss.  The prices weren't on the plates, they were on some list where all the different pieces were listed.  But by that time she had wrapped and given me the plates.

Given the *entirety* of the situation, I would have paid the correct price. The joy at finding the dishes, the idea that she had made an unfortunate mistake, the fact that I would be using these dishes at Christmas, that $24 per plate is still a good price...

On November 30, 2019 at 8:30 AM, unsinkable said:

Given the *entirety* of the situation, I would have paid the correct price. The joy at finding the dishes, the idea that she had made an unfortunate mistake, the fact that I would be using these dishes at Christmas, that $24 per plate is still a good price...

I thought about it but I didn't have an extra $80.  I did have $20.  I'm not going to feel guilty about it.   Yeah, someone had to swallow the cost.  But you know what?  This time it wasn't me.  

If she had discovered the mistake before I had bought the dishes, had them wrapped up and put them in my car it would have been different.  But it wasn't.

• Like 2