Menu

Logic Stage-History Discussion Questions?

SkiMom

I've been looking at the various history programs out there and none of them seem to be what I want. I am tempted by Sonlight, but I don't like the two year format. I have also considered TOG, but it seems very overhwelming! Ideally I would like to take Sonlight 6 & 7 and do it in a WTM sorta way over 4 years. The thing that concerns me is this...what about discussion questions? TOG has these great discussion questions for history, but Sonlight doesn't. So...how necessary are discussion questions for history? I know that logic stage students learn best with discussion, but when reading WTM I don't see that discussion questions are part of her plan for logic stage history. SWB suggests reading, timeline, outlining, primary sources, written summaries in the notebook, and memorization...but I don't see discussion questions. Maybe I am missing something though? To be clear, I am not talking about the literature portion because she does have discussion as an important part of those studies...I am referring just to the history studies. Any wise words? TIA!

And since literature is coordinated with history under that plan, it follows that the discussions would include history as well as pure literature, especially when looking at a biography.

Also, Critical Thinking in US History, which is recommended for the logic stage, includes a lot of discussion and exercises to lead kids to be able to evaluate historical documents. Then they are supposed to perform those kinds of evaluations in the rest of their history studies.

It's true that TOG has a lot of discussion questions, and in many ways that could make it easier to absorb the history. But personally I would rather discuss literature and then use the history to put it into context than discuss history as my entry point for dialogue, so WTM suits me a little bit better.

And since literature is coordinated with history under that plan, it follows that the discussions would include history as well as pure literature, especially when looking at a biography.

...discuss literature and then use the history to put it into context.

:iagree:

And, I think discussion is going to naturally come up as the kids are doing their history writing and reading. My ds is already asking questions about inconsistencies, wrongdoings he notices from the past, and he just generally talks about what he has read. It has forced me to think through my worldview, so I can answer questions and guide his thinking process.

One more thing, in the high school part of WTM, lit. and history are completely melded together, so I think the logic stage sections of WTM are leading up to that.

:iagree:

And, I think discussion is going to naturally come up as the kids are doing their history writing and reading. My ds is already asking questions about inconsistencies, wrongdoings he notices from the past, and he just generally talks about what he has read. It has forced me to think through my worldview, so I can answer questions and guide his thinking process.

One more thing, in the high school part of WTM, lit. and history are completely melded together, so I think the logic stage sections of WTM are leading up to that.

:iagree:, too

I find that especially in 5th and 6th grades, I *have* to talk my kids through their outlines and their summaries. Otherwise, they take all day to get their work done.

In 7th grade I noticed there were times my ds had read the material, and really wanted to get an outline or summary done while it was still fresh in his mind. So, I'd read that and then we'd discuss it.

No real designed set of questions, mostly just, "What did you think about x?" or "Why do you think x happened?" or "Do you think x was right?" or "What do you think should have happened?" I especially try to find "Why?" questions, and comparisons with other happenings we've already studied.

for OP: SL does not have *questions*, but they do summarize the most important information and you can quickly and easily use their notes to ask your own questions.

SkiMom,

As a really fresh example of what I'm talking about.....sitting here tonight all involved in thinking about how to teach writing ;), my ds came out with *that look* on his face - the one that says he has some heavy stuff on his mind (as a result of a biography he was reading). Out came the subject, and off we were, talking for an HOUR. An hour of talking about some specific historical things, meshing it in with our beliefs about those things, how they affect us personally, what we can do about those things. I didn't need any discussion questions for this - this was way better because it flowed more naturally. It was so cool!

We do outlining, writing assignments, mapwork etc with certain books. Other books- we just read and orally narrate. I continue oral narrations right through (TWTM I think stops them once you start on written ones). I ask my kids what they just read, what they thought about it, just general questions- and sometimes much deeper conversations are sparked off. I think you will find that in the logic stage, as long as you encourage and make space for questions, there wont be too much of a problem with them. But it can be more natural than having a formal list of questions to roll off.

So discussion questions for history are part of the learning process, but are more of a naturally occurring part of it. I get it! It certainly does take the pressure off of me having to come up with my own regularly scheduled, meaty discussion questions, or finding that perfect curriculum that includes formal discussion questions. Thanks for your replies!

Thanks for posting this thread! I have been mulling over SL and TOG for a long time (longer than I probably should be-ha!). I really, really like SL, but was tempted by TOG's "meatier" discussion questions.

I absolutely love to read that you ladies with more experience homeschooling say these discussions naturally occur. That is so wonderful, and I agree it takes a lot of pressure off of us mamas trying to make up our own Qs or finding that perfect curriculum with the Qs already there. Ah. I can breathe again! :D