Menu

Flea meds cats vs dogs

SquirrellyMama

Why is it that when I give the dogs flea meds they look at me like I am the best. "Thanks mom for protecting me against fleas and ticks. I love you!" 

The cats act like I am sticking a dagger into their back. They won't come near me for the rest of the day, look at me like I just betrayed them, and will never trust me again.

It takes 2 minutes to get flea meds on all 3 dogs, and can take the whole day with the cats since we have to catch them first. 

Kelly

• Haha 1

Cats are hard to give any medication to. The local compounding pharmacy knows me because we've had to have multiple things compounded to a transdermal so I can stick it in a cat's ear because it was next to impossible to get a pill in them, but usually I can get them on my lap and do a transdermal then. 

My cat always acted like it REALLY irritated his skin when I first applied it. I hated doing it, but he was an outdoor kitty and had to have it.

My dog wags her tail when I get out the applicator tube, even though it makes her back itchy later. Maybe because she knows she will get a treat for being such a good, good girl? 😉Maybe because she is getting attention? Who knows. 🙂 

5 hours ago, StephanieZ said:

Some cats really do get painful skin reactions to topicals. You can ask your vet about an oral medication . . . if you think you can "pill" your cat. 🙂

Pill the cat... No, nope, never.

If I sneak up on them they don't react. It's only when they see the tube or the reaction of the other cats.

Kelly

24 minutes ago, SquirrellyMama said:

Pill the cat... No, nope, never.

If I sneak up on them they don't react. It's only when they see the tube or the reaction of the other cats.

Kelly

You might want to try a different topical. Revolution Plus or Advantage Multi are both good products. Try one of those. 🙂 There are plenty of cats who have severe topical reactions to some of the topicals but not to others. So, try a new one, because it might actually be painful for your cat. 

• Like 1