Menu

Analytical Grammar vs Fix it Grammar

Mom28kds

What are your experiences with these. I have 2 middle schoolers and a 9th grader. All could use help with grammar so I'm backing up to give more attention to grammar before I do a whole lot of writing. Two of them are coming from public school and I'm just realizing they need more help in this area. Thanks :)

Well, we use both. During AG season (the heavy part of the year) we only do AG, and then we use Fix It the rest of the year. I like AG, but it doesn't cover usage and mechanics until the third season, and I have found Fix It to be strong in those areas and helpful to cover regularly. Fix It is also quick and painless. 

1 hour ago, ByGrace3 said:

Well, we use both. During AG season (the heavy part of the year) we only do AG, and then we use Fix It the rest of the year. I like AG, but it doesn't cover usage and mechanics until the third season, and I have found Fix It to be strong in those areas and helpful to cover regularly. Fix It is also quick and painless. 

That's a good idea. Which fix it do you recommend? Have you used the  AG Review and reinforcement or just Fix it?

Edited by Mom28kds

19 minutes ago, Mom28kds said:

That's a good idea. Which fix it do you recommend? Have you used the  AG Review and reinforcement or just Fix it?

We do use the AG Reinforcement as well. My older dd has completed all three seasons of AG, and ds is in Season 2. When he finishes the the season they will do the Reinforcement for this year. In the meantime DD is using Fix it Book 3. ds will begin Fix it book 3 and they will alternate fix it and reinforcement exercises for the rest of the year. We just split the reinforcement pages. 

• Like 1

Just now, Paradox5 said:

I believe Fix It says everyone starts at the first book.

Grace, I love your plan. I’m going to copy you. After all imitation is the highest form of compliment. 

I have read to start in book one, but I believe there is a placement test as well. ds and dd both did book 1 but then dd did AG and ds moved to book 2. I had dd skip book 2 and move to have them both in book 3 this year. It has not been an issue. 

• Like 1

I've used both and love them both, but for different ages. We use Fix It for elementary and AG for middle school. I actually think that one of the reasons AG is so effective is because it isn't used all year long, and the grammar ideas can percolate in their brains for a while with just periodic reinforcement from the R&R books. We do composition in the weeks we don't do AG and it works out great. My kids would get very very tired of grammar if they did it every day all throughout middle school. YMMV.

When we first started hs'ing my oldest was in 8th and he did all 3 seasons of AG in one year, and it was fine, and it got him caught up to speed quickly for high school. But it was an intense grammar year!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...