Menu

Any dessert recipes w/o diary, nuts, or corn products?

Homemade cranberry sauce is a favorite treat around here :)

Dates are a sweet treat, too.

I'm polling the kids since between us we are allergic to nearly everything and have to think of menu planning in terms of "exciting" and "challenging" to avoid "frustration" and "heartbreak."

If you google around you can find vegan chocolate cake recipes. I use this one but my son (the allergic one) won't eat it. It is VERY good though,

1.25 cups unbleached white flour

1 square of unsweetened bakers cocoa (1 oz) grated finely

1 cup of sugar

0.5 tsp salt

0.75 tsp baking soda

1 cup of water

0.33 cup vegetable oil

1 tsp vanilla extract

1 tsp vinegar

mix it all up and bake at 325 for half an hour.

edited to add that my allergic son won't eat it because he's had too many bad experiences with real dairy and egg cake that he's afraid of that whole food genre (so to speak).

Edited by Snickerdoodle

I found this brownie recipe on allrecipes.com but have changed it to:

1/4 cup earth balance

6 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa (can do 1/2 and 1/2 with carob or which ever combination you like)

3/4 cup sugar

1/4 tsp. salt

1/2 cup flour (or gluten free with 1/4 tsp. Xanthan Gum)

2 tsp. vanilla

2 egg whites (I use 1 Tbsp. egg replacer with 4 Tbsp. water)

This says to bake in an 8 inch square pan at 300 degrees for 30 minutes. (I usually up the temp. to 325 degrees; keep checking after 20 minutes). Melt the earth balance and mix everything together. spread in greased pan. '

I have increased this recipe by 4 in a very large pan (like 2 / 9 x13's together)

and it is very good. I have used the cocoa and carob together and when increased by 4 I have cut the sugar to 3 cups or less.

I'll be making Ambrosia (my version of it anyway). It's basically a mixture of cool whip (it does have sodium caseinate, you may be able to use something that doesn't, I think I usually get a generic brand without), orange slices, pineapple chunks, and coconut. I think that's it (I'm probably forgetting something).

There are about a million versions (some with diary, some with nuts), so its basically one of those recipes you just make it how you like it :)

edited to add.....marshmallows! I think it has marshmallows too :)

Edited by jojomojo