Menu

Can you suggest a nice, sharp santoku knife that isn't too expensive?

I want to ask for one for Christmas! A couple Christmases ago dh actually bought me a Henckels one and I returned it-couldn't bring myself to spend over $80 on a knife! But I'd really like to have a more reasonable one that works well. Do you have one that you like? I think I'd spend up to about $30 if there was a great quality one for that price, but I'd love to go less if possible. Thanks!

Japanese knives are the best. I have several, but not reading Japanese I can't tell you the brand.

Will say, after using a Japanese knife, you will never again look at a Henkel or other German knife as an object of desire. The German knives are so clunky and brutish in comparison.

The single edged Japanese knives are ground at a steeper angle than "Western knives", which is part of the reason the cut so cleanly, but this combined with the hard (but somewhat brittle) steel means they are more liable to damage than a western knife. So don't try to slice through bone with your Japanese knife, and take care to protect the knifes edge from hard surfaces (sinks included).

A little "babying" will pay off with a hugely rewarding cutlery experience.

Bill (a huge fan of Japanese knives)

I have been really pleased with our Napa Style. It is the brand of kitchenware by Michael Chiarello from the Foodnetwork. My MIL found a set of three, they sharpened well, hold that edge for a long time, and come with sheaths that are helpful for those of us who don't do the butcher block. Also, I looked them up on Amazon and the price is really fair. Good luck.

I know that Bed, Bath & Beyond and Linens-N-Things(which is going out of business), have a deal going on a 5-inch and 7-inch set of santoku knives now. The set is retailing for $29.99, but you could use a 20% off coupon from BB&B, or you could get at least 25% off at Linens-N-Things going out of business sale.

HTH,

Yvonne in AL