Menu

The Book of Astronomy vs Signs and Seasons vs Experience Astronomy

Slache

3 hours ago, mms said:

Book of Astronomy: boring

Love Signs and Seasons and can't wait to use it, but time consuming so it is on hold till I have more independent students and am past toddler/baby stage.

Never heard of third one.

It's the one you get for free when you do some random thing I apparently did at some point. I don't love it and I'm waiting for someone to compare it to the others before I spend money.

1 hour ago, hollyhock2 said:

Don't know about the other two, but I thought Signs and Seasons was high school level. It does look really cool though.

Oh dear! I'll find out. Thanks!

32 minutes ago, Janeway said:

Why not skip buying curriculum for this? I have found so much on the topic online and on TV. I also have RS4Kids Astronomy and Geology and Apologia Elementary Astronomy.

Because it won't get done. He does read about it in his free time.

1 hour ago, Slache said:

It looks like Signs and Seasons is high school level. I'm not sure how I missed that. There is a companion "field journal and test manual" in case anyone cares.

I looked at the description of it at CBD and there's no age or grade level on it, so maybe that's why.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, hollyhock2 said:

Is the Apologia elementary astronomy book too young for him? My son adored that book in 4th-5th grade and still won't give it up (keeps it in his shelf so I can't put it with the other science books).

We did it in K, he's reread it, and references it often. He even has a sketchbook dedicated to pictures he's copied from that book. He wants to do Astronomy 2, which apparently is MP's astronomy.

44 minutes ago, hollyhock2 said:

I looked at the description of it at CBD and there's no age or grade level on it, so maybe that's why.

There was on old thread with someone deciding between The Book of Astronomy and Signs &  Seasons so I figured they were at the same level.

1 hour ago, Slache said:

There was on old thread with someone deciding between The Book of Astronomy and Signs &  Seasons so I figured they were at the same level.

Probably Signs & Seasons could be done in junior high, but I'm not sure I'd attempt it for elementary. Your son does sound ahead of his age in this area, though. The only other books I can think of to recommend are Tiner's Exploring the World of Astronomy, The Astronomy Book from Master Books, and I also have God's Design Our Universe, but it's not nearly as engaging as the others or the Apologia books. Would the MP Astronomy not work for him?

Edited by hollyhock2

39 minutes ago, hollyhock2 said:

Probably Signs & Seasons could be done in junior high, but I'm not sure I'd attempt it for elementary. Your son does sound ahead of his age in this area, though. The only other books I can think of to recommend are Tiner's Exploring the World of Astronomy, The Astronomy Book from Master Books, and I also have God's Design Our Universe, but it's not nearly as engaging as the others or the Apologia books. Would the MP Astronomy not work for him?

No, we're going to do MP.  My issue is that people say it's boring. He'll love the content so it's fine. Tiner is more of a scientific Astronomy. I was going to have him read the Tiner books soon.

Oh, somehow I missed that The Book of Astronomy in the title IS the Memoria Press one. Ha. Oops.

Sometimes when a kid is interested in something, no book about it is boring. When my oldest was in elementary, he read the God's Design books for fun. He loved them, and I've heard a lot of people say they are dry and boring. So maybe it'll be fine for him. 🙂

5 minutes ago, hollyhock2 said:

Oh, somehow I missed that The Book of Astronomy in the title IS the Memoria Press one. Ha. Oops.

Sometimes when a kid is interested in something, no book about it is boring. When my oldest was in elementary, he read the God's Design books for fun. He loved them, and I've heard a lot of people say they are dry and boring. So maybe it'll be fine for him. 🙂

That's what I'm hoping. And if I'm completely wrong it's not expensive.

• Like 1

My daughter puffy heart loved Memoria Press Astronomy in 3rd grade. She loved it so much that she begged me to do it the second time, and did it all by herself. She is a workbook, get-er-done person, and she enjoyed filling out constellations, memorizing star names, and going back and forth between the astronomy book and her D'Aulare's (sp?) Greek Mythology book.

She used to draw constellations with chalk on the sidewalk, which looked very impressive, and talked to everyone and anyone about the different constellations visible in the sky each season.

She can't do the constellations anymore, after 5 years, but she still remembers seasons, stars, major constellation locations in the sky, and star classification.

• Thanks 1

My girls loved Book of Astronomy last year (for grades 3rd & 6th)!  I don't think it would have been as enjoyable if we'd just done the workbook, but we often took nature walks after dark and looked for the constellations and stars that we'd read about.  It was so exciting to find them in the sky and made them more interested to learn even more.  There isn't a ton of information in the book though, it's mostly memorization and a bit of background information.  We added a solar system kit to make it a bit more hands-on. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...