Menu

Has anyone had high prolactin /pituitary adenoma

SereneHome

and if so, would you share your experience?   My blood work showed really high levels and my dr wants to me to get an MRI saying that it could be a tumor on pituitary gland. I will be talking to him on Monday but this is the first time I am learning of existence of all of this, so was hoping for some "real life" info.  Thanks

3 hours ago, hippiemamato3 said:

I had a somewhat elevated prolactin level at one point and did some research. It is likely a tumor but they are almost always benign and easily treated (possibly with surgery). I hope you get answers quickly!

that's what my dr thinks - a benign tumor.  I am just such a wimp when it comes to medical stuff and also always think how being sick doesn't fit my schedule!!  I don't want MRIs or surgeries!!!  arghhh

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Medicmom2.0 said:

Yes, in my mid 20s.  I had high prolactin and then a pituitary adenoma showed up on two scans...I went to see a neurosurgeon who said it was so small he could barely see it on the scan and  they wouldn’t really treat it.  I was on a medication for high prolactin for a while, and then all of the sudden it all went away.

I honestly am not sure if it was ever there at all. Occasionally I do get symptoms of high prolactin(every 5-6 years) along with high levels in my blood, and my doctor orders another MRI. It’s never shown up again; so I truly don’t know.

From my research back in the day, it was almost always benign and a simply day surgery to remove if necessary.

This was pretty much my experience as well.  I had it show up in my 20's.  I was told I had a tumor, it showed up on MRIs, I was actually lactating and definitely had not been pregnant.  

30 years later, it isn't showing up anymore, but I do have elevated levels every now and then.

37 minutes ago, DawnM said:

This was pretty much my experience as well.  I had it show up in my 20's.  I was told I had a tumor, it showed up on MRIs, I was actually lactating and definitely had not been pregnant.  

30 years later, it isn't showing up anymore, but I do have elevated levels every now and then.

That's was the reason for my blood test.  And they want an MRI.....

Did you get any medications back then?

8 minutes ago, SereneHome said:

That's was the reason for my blood test.  And they want an MRI.....

Did you get any medications back then?

no, I didn't.  They said they were just going to monitor it.  That was before they put X-rays on computers and my slides were all lost in the earthquake.  In fact, that entire building with my doctor's office was destroyed.

28 minutes ago, DawnM said:

no, I didn't.  They said they were just going to monitor it.  That was before they put X-rays on computers and my slides were all lost in the earthquake.  In fact, that entire building with my doctor's office was destroyed.

oh wow!!

If it wasn't for doing MRI, I probably wouldn't be as nervous as I am....

2 hours ago, SereneHome said:

oh wow!!

If it wasn't for doing MRI, I probably wouldn't be as nervous as I am....

I had to look it up, it was 1994.  My doctor was in Northridge.

I hate MRIs, ask them to give you a valium or something before going.

I had this and had the whole work-up.  With me, It was a strange side effect of verapamil, which I was prescribed because of lots of migraines.  Years later, I had the opposite effect after taking one pill of a blood pressure medication- it rose my blood pressure instead of lowering.  Those were the only two calcium channel blockers I have ever taken and I am not taking any others. At least with the blood pressure one, it is a genetic issue.