Menu

Notebooking with BFSU

Sarah0000

My son is in second grade this year and I'm currently going through BFSU 1 to check for understanding and gaps. We started it in K but I mostly used it as a reference and did lots of read alouds and exploration, periodically checking back in with the manual. Has anyone tried notebooking or a lab manual or journal or some other kind of written output with BFSU? I'm considering something along those lines when we start BFSU 2, or maybe something easy as we review BFSU 1. 

I'm thinking of even typing up headers and vocabulary terms from each lesson and simply have him draw a picture of the concept as we review. Then next year he can fill in definitions on his own and keep simple notes of associated books we read and projects we complete as we go along. Does anyone happen to know if something like this has been created by anyone before I do all that work? Or other ideas/resources?

• Like 1

For BFSU 1 we did a simple sketchbook.  He drew, I wrote down his oral narration and dated it. He would label diagrams, though. Occasionally we'd make a pocket to put things in like the energy cards and put that on a page.
This year (4th) and next we're dipping into BFSU 2.  We're using a sketchbook again, but I'm buying interactive notebook elements from Getting Nerdy With Mel & Gerdy for the life science portion and creating my own elements for the rest.  There will be more lab pages and, now that he can, isometric drawings on that graph paper.

• Like 1

We did pages similar to HomeAgain for BFSU 1. For the next two books i went through and made worksheets for each lesson with pictures (lots of pictures) and notes and places to do the smaller projects and questions to answer. Every few lessons i had a review page with questions from previous lessons. It was nice to have the worksheets, so even if a lesson took multiple days we had an ongoing record of what we were learning.

In book 3 we diverge for a bit to a few of Ellen McHenry's short books on cells and botany, and separately during the chemistry portion we use some of the ACS materials and we do a lapbook to give a short, visual focus on the periodic table.

• Like 1

As recommended by the author, Nebel, I started the notebooking to check for understanding in volume 2.  I stood at a whiteboard and asked my student to explain a key concept.  As she dictated, I scribed on the whiteboard diagrams and definitions, correcting misunderstandings as needed.  She copied these onto a blank sheet of typing paper, 3 hole punched, which she kept in a small binder.  We did this at the end of each lesson, labeled with the lesson number and date.  It's quite a keepsake all these years later.  (Now I want to go find them!)

As recommended by the author, Nebel, I started the notebooking to check for understanding in volume 2.  I stood at a whiteboard and asked my student to explain a key concept.  As she dictated, I scribed on the whiteboard diagrams and definitions, correcting misunderstandings as needed.  She copied these onto a blank sheet of typing paper, 3 hole punched, which she kept in a small binder.  We did this at the end of each lesson, labeled with the lesson number and date.  It's quite a keepsake all these years later.  (Now I want to go find them!)

ETA:  We used loose leaf paper because they were using lovely colored pens and gel pens, and I didn't want my kids to stress out by using already bound paper, if they needed to start a drawing over again.