Menu

Probably a stupid dog question

Loowit

Our puppy (Alaskan Malamute/Australian Shepherd mix) is almost a year old. He has been acting up horribly today. He is getting into my rose bushes that he usually leaves alone, getting into the blueberry bushes, digging,  and anything else that he can think of that he knows not to do both in the house and outside.

Usually if I sit outside with him he is fine, but not today. He hasn't been this bad since he was a little puppy. I have played with him as much as he will, but I can't walk him because I hurt my foot earlier this week.  I am hoping that when DD gets home from work she can take him for a walk.

I am wondering if this is a stage he is going through or if it is because DH and the boys have been gone all week at scout camp.  I am hoping the latter since they get home tomorrow afternoon.

Well, my red heeler (cattle dog) was quite mischievous until she was two. However, if this is somewhat odd behavior for your dog, then I’d say it’s probably just the absence of family members causing some distress. I will say that my highly energetic dog gets way more tired from mental games. Her favorite is hide and seek with my oldest. He throws her ball, while she retrieves it he hides. Then she looks for him. They both love it *and* it wears her out!

ETA: our cattle dog goes and goes and goes all day long too still (she’s 5) but isn’t destructive anymore, thank goodness!

Edited by mmasc
  • Like 1

Agree that he is probably bored and needs more physical and mental exercise. Aussies and Malamutes are such high energy dogs. We had a Malamute/Husky mix and he was super active even into his senior years. We have an Aussie/Catahoula mix now and he just goes and goes all day long, and he's four years old.

• Like 1

Thanks.  DD got home and is taking pups for a walk.  He was super excited to see his harness.  He loves walks.  DH usually walks him before work and then DS does another walk or two during the day.  It has been so hot here in the afternoons when DD is home that he hasn't had a walk since I hurt my foot a couple days ago. 

I am sure boredom is part of it and he loves attention.  DH and the boys are the high energy playmates and they have been gone all week.  I tried playing fetch with him, but he isn't much into that.  He loves to run and get whatever we throw and brings it to us, but doesn't like to give it back.  He is much more into tug games.  We did some training and he likes that too.

I like the hide and seek idea.  I will have to give it a try and suggest it to DS when he gets home.

I have joked to DH that we need to get him a couple sheep to keep in the backyard for him to herd and play with.

1 hour ago, Loowit said:

I am sure boredom is part of it and he loves attention.  DH and the boys are the high energy playmates and they have been gone all week.  I tried playing fetch with him, but he isn't much into that.  He loves to run and get whatever we throw and brings it to us, but doesn't like to give it back.  He is much more into tug games.  We did some training and he likes that too.

My dog has turned a year old this summer. She also likes to keep the fetched item instead of giving it back, so we've been working with her on it. I keep a stash of higher value treats with me and give her one when she brings the ball back. Not every time that she comes back, but often enough that she is eager to see if I'm going to do it. We are still working on it, but it seems to be helping.

I've read that you can separate this into two commands to practice. 1) Bring it and 2) Drop it. So once the dog starts responding to Bring It, you can then add the Drop It.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Loowit said:

Thanks.  DD got home and is taking pups for a walk.  He was super excited to see his harness.  He loves walks.  DH usually walks him before work and then DS does another walk or two during the day.  It has been so hot here in the afternoons when DD is home that he hasn't had a walk since I hurt my foot a couple days ago. 

I like the hide and seek idea.  I will have to give it a try and suggest it to DS when he gets home.

I have joked to DH that we need to get him a couple sheep to keep in the backyard for him to herd and play with.

Our Aussie mix does this, too! He will drop an item when told to, but you can tell it pains him to do it.🙂He would much rather run around with it in his mouth and show off and keep the other dogs from getting it. He's a champion tugger, too!

ETA: If you're on Facebook, you should check out the Aussies Doing Things Facebook group. It's a celebration of Aussies and all their quirky ways!

Edited by Selkie
  • Like 1