Menu

What to do with an aspiring writer?

My dd really, truly seems to have a gift for writing. She writes short stories, poems and song lyrics mostly. She is working on a novel as well. I want to encourage her but also feed her talent and interest.

Any advice on helping her? Any classes, etc. to direct us to?

TIA,

I have a writer on my hands as well. He cannot keep himself off of the computer composing stories and books. They usually never get finished but he's been doing it for years -- I have many in his print writing put away.

For a long time, I did nothing. It was his thing and I didn't want to edit or require or impose in any way but rather just give him space to write. A few months ago, Anne/PA posted a list of writing competitions as well as magazines which publish children's works. Hopefully, she'll chime in as her children have published quite a bit. I haven't seen her on the boards lately, though, so you may need to search her old posts. I'll try to find my notes today after I finish teaching.

HTH,

Lisa

Assuming that the "CA" in your screen name stands for "California" and not "Canada" or some other location--My dd, a homeschool graduate, is currently majoring in creative writing at the University of California, Riverside, which is the only UC with a creative writing major.

She is loving it there, and doing well.

During her homeschool years, I tried to make sure that her grasp of grammar and mechanics was solid, as well as her compositional skills. Also, I tried to ensure that she had a rigorous exposure to academic subjects (e.g., math, science, history) besides writing and literature. A writer, I thought, should have as broad an education as reasonably possible from which to draw on when she writes. If there had been time, I would have also tried to given her more exposure to various experiences as well. (I don't mean to imply that she was housebound--far from it! But it's why she's going to a professional football game this season: Although she doesn't particularly like football, she is going in order to have the experience in case she wants to draw on it for a writing project at some point in the future.)

I didn't need to expend any effort on my part encouraging her to write (at least creatively); she did that on her own without any problem!

Just our experience, but HTH!

I have a writer on my hands as well. He cannot keep himself off of the computer composing stories and books. They usually never get finished but he's been doing it for years -- I have many in his print writing put away.

For a long time, I did nothing. It was his thing and I didn't want to edit or require or impose in any way but rather just give him space to write. A few months ago, Anne/PA posted a list of writing competitions as well as magazines which publish children's works. Hopefully, she'll chime in as her children have published quite a bit. I haven't seen her on the boards lately, though, so you may need to search her old posts. I'll try to find my notes today after I finish teaching.

HTH,

Lisa

Hi, FloridaLisa and all! Isn't that funny-- I just popped in and saw this message. We are now living in Ankara, Turkey, and I am teaching ninth grade English at an International School. It is an interesting challenge! I just yesterday received one of my magazines, Creative Kids, which does publish students' articles (you might see my two kids's articles on elections in it in this issue).

Here is the list I posted some time ago. I believe it is still up-to-date... also, don't forget the Scholastic Art and Writing contests, which are now underway. That has also been a wonderful experience for my kids.

Anne/PA now in Ankara

_________

Writing for Publication

Here are some children’s literary magazines that currently publish stories, poems, book reviews, and artwork by young writers.

Stone Soup Magazine—hard to get accepted here, but it is possible! Perhaps the nation’s top-rated literary magazine for kids. http://www.stonesoup.com/

Bookworm Magazine—edited by a young homeschooled girl, Sophie McKibben. Very nicely done, and certainly open to short stories, poems, book reviews, and artwork. It is easy to email her submissions, and she certainly seems open to publishing things. http://www.bookworm-mag.com/

Creative Kids Magazine—very nicely done children’s literary magazine. My kids are on the editorial board. They do a fine job printing up the stories with nice designs and such. Highly recommended! In fact, my dd did the cover art for the issue on the website! http://www.prufrock.com/client/client_pages/prufrock_jm_createkids.cfm

Skipping Stones Magazine—I think this is my favorite magazine. They publish all kinds of essays, short stories, folktales, and other student writings, and offer contests (one coming up due June ’08). I like their emphasis on traditions, environment, peace, family and society. We have published here quite a bit, and highly recommend this magazine. http://www.skippingstones.org/

Calliope World History—this magazine is perfect for WTM kids, because it covers world history in an engaging way. They often run writing contests (epic poems, etc) and publish articles written by kids. My ds just published one on SPQR Ancient Rome in the last issue. http://www.cobblestonepub.com/magazine/CAL/

Imagine Magazine—this is a very professional magazine aimed at young teens, run by the Johns Hopkins group. They do publish creative short stories (a contest just ended) and artwork (my kids won earlier this year!) as well as book reviews and such. Very nicely produced. http://cty.jhu.edu/imagine

Cogito Forum—this is a website that publishes student’s review, if you have kids who like to write book reviews. My dd just published something on Joy Hakim’s Story of Science there, so they do publish what you send in. Just an idea. http://www.cogito.org/Articles/ArticlesList.aspx?BookReviews

Not at all what you're asking, however---

I have a self-motivated creative writer. I do encourage her creativity but the biggest help she needed was in expository writing. If your dd has no plans to go to college, no biggie. My creative writer is currently working her way through 4-year university work. Although we worked some with expository writing in high school she still needed improvement when she began CC because they assign papers all the time. Just a friendly reminder to say- don't overlook it. :)

Hi, FloridaLisa and all! Isn't that funny-- I just popped in and saw this message. We are now living in Ankara, Turkey, and I am teaching ninth grade English at an International School. It is an interesting challenge!

Ah . . . that explains your board silence. I was just thinking the other day how much I missed your input. Are your children going to the school as well or are you still homeschooling? What an amazing adventure!

I just yesterday received one of my magazines, Creative Kids, which does publish students' articles (you might see my two kids's articles on elections in it in this issue).

Congratulations! I really, really need to set aside some time to explore these venues for my writer. He doesn't need motivation to write, but it would be neat for him to take it to the next level - ie finish and polish his work.

What great timing for you to join in this discussion today! I hope you continue to update on the boards as your international schedule allows!

Lisa

I'd encourage your daughter to read widely.

You may wish to purchase a subscription to Writer's Digest; it appears to be just under $20.00 for a year long subscription (six issues). Also check out their website, lots of good articles, writing tips, and writing prompts. (Your library might also have a subscription.)

There are lots of great books on writing -- the bonus is that most of them are themselves exceedingly well written and a pleasure to read. A few suggestions:

Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life by Anne Lamott

Writing Down the Bones: Freeing the Writer Within by Natalie Goldberg

a writer friend recommends this one: Reading Like a Writer: A Guide for People Who Love Books and for Those Who Want to Write Them by Francine Prose

I've heard good things about this: On Writing by Stephen King

Regards,

Kareni

Thank you for all of the great info! Anne, I'm browsing the sites you linked this morning! Wow! Thank you for all of that.:)

Teachmom--Yes, CA stands for California, Orange County, in fact. Thanks for the tip on UCR.

E--Those books look fun!:)

Kereni--Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check them out!

Anna--You're right about the expository writing. The creative stuff just pours out of her. I need to remember not to neglect other forms of writing.

Lisa--Thanks for channeling Anne to the boards today.:lol:

You may wish to purchase a subscription to Writer's Digest; it appears to be just under $20.00 for a year long subscription (six issues). Also check out their website, lots of good articles, writing tips, and writing prompts. (Your library might also have a subscription.)

My creative writer has been getting these for several years. Wonderful magazine!

It's the best writing approach for creative writers that I have found.

It teaches the homeschooling parent how to encourage and develop both the writing voice of a child, and the material to write about. It is truly outstanding. I go back to it again and again.

Also, I use Writing Strands for the 'serious' end. I want my DD, 12, to have more tools in her tool belt and this is the program that leaves the most room for creativity while still teaching all of the writing basics in a step by step fashion. She is starting WS6 now, and it's a definate step up from WS5.

I also assign subject area writing that is a little more formulaic. She used to do a lot of summaries of history, science, and literature, and personal responses to literature. Now I'm starting to teach her to do compare and contrast papers that incorporate the summarization and response skills but also demonstrate knowledge of literary elements and conventions, and the beginning of thesis writing/defense (at a very gentle level). I do think that it is important that she learn to write in 'normal' formats as well as creatively. I want her to be able to write engagingly about everything, even dry subjects.

Hi Anne,

I'm so glad you posted! I am wondering how your children got on as editors to the Creative Kids magazine.

Thanks!

Laura

Hi, Laura! Actually they got chosen as editors only because that was one of their monthly contests-- "Who wants to be an editor?" type contest. So they described their interests, and sent it in. No magic to it at all! And I think it just emphasizes that many of these magazines are really looking for kids with the time and interest to write articles. Unfortunately most students are too busy with schoolwork, sports, and activities to write. At least that is my impression.

So if you have an aspiring writer, just give them time to write, and then send in the material to various publishers. That's what we did, and it worked fine.

Anne in Ankara (should that be my new name?)

Ah . . . that explains your board silence. I was just thinking the other day how much I missed your input. Are your children going to the school as well or are you still homeschooling? What an amazing adventure!

Yes, Lisa, we are having quite an adventure here. My kids are loving the university preparatory school they go to, which is mostly English language but includes many required courses in Turkish. They have an amazing science program, so that is good, and the kids are learning quite a bit, but the math and English are below their levels. Fortunately the school is trying to customize those subjects for them.

It is quite different from Pittsburgh! But I love the excellent hot lunches (soup, meat/rice/veg, salad bars, fruit) with jugs of water on the tables for the kids. No chips and french fries here. And then the cafeteria opens out to a large field, and the kids play soccer and run about for the rest of their 45 minute lunch period. Fun!

The field trips are to places like Capadoccia, and the sports teams play in tournaments throughout Europe, so that is great. Their model United Nations club does very well and competes in Geneva, think of that! Our kids are taking music lessons at the university, but also perform in the school concerts as soloists. It's nice for them to receive such high praise. They also have joined the band and choir and all that, so that is good.

Anyway, lots of changes for us. Mostly good ones!

Anne

We are making new friends

What an amazing experience! So many historical and Biblical sites to visit. That is an awesome adventure for your family I'm sure. I used to enjoy reading the blog Higher Up, Further In in which the author posted from Turkey.

Thanks again for the update and the extensive list of publications/writing venues.

Lisa