Menu

Spanish - Rosetta Stone vs. Rocket Languages vs. ????

I need an online Spanish curriculum for my rising 10th grade son.  He took an online Spanish 1 class last year but this year, Spanish 2 with the same instructor conflicts with his weekly tutorial classes. Therefore, I'm looking at other options such as Rosetta Stone, Rocket Languages, etc.  I've downloaded a free trial of Rocket Languages and Rosetta Stone and I'm liking features of both.  It seems that Rocket Languages has more "instruction" and more conversation building while Rosetta Stone has more vocabulary building (matching pictures, etc.).  I'd prefer a program that was more of a combination of both.  Are there any others out there that I'm missing?  Admittedly, I've only looked at the first lesson in Rosetta Stone and Rocket Languages - does each get better the farther along one is in the program or are there features I'm not aware of in either?  Rocket Languages restricts access to certain content in the trial version so I'm unable to see what is included under "Language and Culture" and "Survival Kit".

TIA! 

I believe in the past there have been threads about Rosetta Stone on WTM and that the consensus was not very positive.  Possible you can Google, limiting your search to welltrainedmind.com and find some of those threads.  I have never heard of Rocket Languages, so have no comment on that one.   My wife told me that a man we knew had used Rosetta Stone and seemed happy with it.  I think he got it free and that was to learn English.  Good luck with whatever you decide to use!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lanny said:

I believe in the past there have been threads about Rosetta Stone on WTM and that the consensus was not very positive.  Possible you can Google, limiting your search to welltrainedmind.com and find some of those threads.  I have never heard of Rocket Languages, so have no comment on that one.   My wife told me that a man we knew had used Rosetta Stone and seemed happy with it.  I think he got it free and that was to learn English.  Good luck with whatever you decide to use!

Yes, I'd seen some negatives posts on Rosetta Stone as well 😞

2 hours ago, daijobu said:

My dd enjoyed Spanish with Language Bird.  

Checking it out now....thanks!

Yes, Rosetta Stone gets little love for the price. If your ds is super self-motivated Duolingo paired with a grammar book and practice would work. If he isn't up to self-studying a foreign language at high school level, you might try looking at Homeschool Spanish Academy (I can't remember their newish name, but they still cone up with that Google search.)

There are a number of online providers who offer Spanish, if you want someone else to plan, teach AND schedule it out. 😊 

• Like 1