Menu

What’s wrong with my granite counter top?

Annie Elle

We just moved into a new build house that has light colored granite in the kitchen and bathrooms. We’ve never had granite before. When water is left on the granite, the granite has a gray stain where the water was. The stain so far then fades. I’ve been crazy trying to keep everything wiped and cleaned. I’m so scared that if left long enough, the stain won’t fade. Is this normal for granite? I thought granite was preferred over Formica but this is making me miss my Formica counter tops.

Please help me care for my new counter tops.

If it’s a new build, then the counters probably haven’t been sealed yet. When we moved into a new house with granite countertops, we sealed them the first week we lived there. Some were light, and we never had that problem. So I’d try using granite sealer and see if that fixes it. 

ETA: my guess is that the granite is absorbing the water, which is causing the spot 

Edited by mmasc
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, mmasc said:

If it’s a new build, then the counters probably haven’t been sealed yet. When we moved into a new house with granite countertops, we sealed them the first week we lived there. Some were light, and we never had that problem. So I’d try using granite sealer and see if that fixes it. 

ETA: my guess is that the granite is absorbing the water, which is causing the spot 

How would I know if they are sealed or not? There is a shiny finish on them.