Menu

MRI today for lower back pain

PeterPan

43 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

The muscles get tight because your body is protecting the injured back, bracing in fear of pain. 

My dad had several herniated disks (he fell off a roof when young, and eventually the injury caught up to him) and had surgery, and did PT. He says the PT was incredibly effective, and he's not the type of guy I'd think would be even willing to go, let alone say it helped. 

And it's what the chiro hasn't addressed well. He just took this idiotic "do back extensions and it will get better" position, even though parts of my back muscles were tighter and overtly hurting that hadn't hurt before. Then it was well you have to hurt to heal and all this crap. I guess it kinda makes you wonder why I'm going back. I thought maybe he'd have something more intelligent to say when he had data. What I need is a good PT. I tried a PT locally and I need some place better.

• Like 1

Just read your post and decided to comment knowing I never even considered a chiro for my back.  So I totally get that I am a bit anti.

That said my PT  worked wonders after the surgery and my recovery went well.  My ruptures were so bad I hadn’t been able to feel my legs for 3 months so lots of issues.   I think you need to move on to the PT but via a knowledgeable recommendation.   My PT was recommended by my Ortho and he thought about it.....I remember him going through the ones he usually used and saying that my PT location was the best one for my back......he actually  didn’t use them often.  I actually had a team not just one and I felt really well cared for and they made me feel safe.  I was also able to buy a membership to their exercise area after my treatment was over and continue my exercises with the equipment I was familiar with.......they also kept an eye on my progress.  It was great.

I would skip the Chiro and go to a respected Ortho in your area and have a consultation and learn what everything on your report means for sure. Get a recommendation into a good PT for your back from the Ortho.

• Like 1

On 7/15/2019 at 4:18 PM, Arcadia said:

There is one location only in Texas http://locations.in-n-out.com/296-Killeen

I have a slightly misaligned spine since 6th grade medical (well child kind of test), was checked for scoliosis, and was advised to carry backpacks instead of totes or sling bags. 

There are four in-n-out burgers in the Austin area. I have one just 10 minutes from my house. I've never been though.

The reason only that one location showed up for you when you did the search is that it was looking for Texas as either a city name or a street name. You can't actually search by state. The one in Killeen is on Central Texas Expressway, so it has Texas in the streetname.

It looks like Dallas, Ft Worth, Austin, and San Antonio each have several locations. The closest location to Houston is in Austin.

8 hours ago, mumto2 said:

I would skip the Chiro and go to a respected Ortho in your area and have a consultation and learn what everything on your report means for sure. Get a recommendation into a good PT for your back from the Ortho.

That would be smart. It's a little too late to toss the chiro appt for tomorrow, so I guess we'll just see what happens. Maybe he'll man up and say something smart. I just think what I want is beyond his skill set. He could help *parts* of what I want, but the rest really is more a PT thing, which he ought to own up to. 

So in my research I came across recommends for this Foundation Training, and the guy has up several free videos. I thought the idea was at least on-track. It would probably be my only other idea besides PT. https://stream.foundationtraining.com/categories/freebies  I'm not to keen on the price of the PT, but that's because this local person turned it into an endless pit where you keep going and going... They weren't really paying attention to you because they had multiple people going and obviously they didn't give me anything to prevent these problems anyway. I mean the PT said arthritis (correct) and then didn't refer out for imaging or tell me what to do to keep it from getting worse. Nothing she had me doing was hitting that L4/L5 region anyway. Maybe it would have eventually? I don't know. But it was just at endless pit at $90 a pop. That's why I wanted the imaging, because the chiro was treating it that way too with less skills and less he was getting done even.

My dh's family is all in on chiros, so I just sorta trusted that for 20 years. Now they're looking like buffoons in my book, completely under skilled.

Another FWIW because my ruptures were L3 and L4 with significant issues from the nerve damage........the exercises are all about core stabilization for the back so I worked pretty much all the back muscles, shoulders down.  There were several for my legs but those were for the nerve issues. Obviously this was years before Obama care but because of the prescription from the Dr, my insurance ended up paying so you never know.  

• Like 1