Menu

Story of the world for a 3rd grade

LanaA

That would probably depends on which state or country you're in, and whether the local schools even teach an historical period in grade 3. Ours doesn't.

But the real question is, do you need to be bound by what would match the local schools? In most cases, you don't need to be and can feel free to start at whichever book you like. Ancients would be recommended, and progress through in order. Unless you want to start with book three to get on the "correct book" for the rotation to end in grade 12. If you took that route, perhaps you could just do books one and two as read alouds and then move onto book three.

Chances are, none of them.

IME, public school social studies, especially in elementary school, is very haphazard, if it gets taught at all. So a chronological history like SOTW probably isn't going to fit in with your typical public school curriculum

That said, I also started homeschooling my dd in the third grade after public school K-2. We started right in with the Ancients, no problem. Actually, I compressed SOTW, doing the four books over two years (3rd-4th). If I had it to do over, I probably wouldn't go that route, but it worked fine.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Paradox5 said:

This is done by doing 3 chapters (not sections) a week. I just did that with my daughter. Really, start with Ancients and take your time through the series. 

That's one way. I eliminated some chapters and focused on the topics I thought were most important.

Third grade is actually a great time to start SOTW from the beginning. Some kids just aren't ready to dive deep into history in first grade but most kids are ready by third grade. The worksheets and activities in SOTW 1 are more than appropriate for a third grader. A lot of people I know in real life that homeschool do interest led history, social studies, geography and culture studies in K-2 and then begin SOTW in 3rd grade which puts them finishing the series in 6th grade. Then 7th and 8th grade they can do a concentrated American history or some other subset of history and then go through the history rotation again in high school starting with ancients. Trust me, even just going through the history cycle twice your child will learn far more than they ever would in public school.