Menu

Best Way to Catch Up in Math

Since you mentioned Bright Futures, I assume you're in Florida. Homeschoolers only have two requirements for the scholarship, SAT scores (which are increasing next year) and volunteer hours. Only public and private school students have course requirements.

26 minutes ago, CinV said:

Since you mentioned Bright Futures, I assume you're in Florida. Homeschoolers only have two requirements for the scholarship, SAT scores (which are increasing next year) and volunteer hours. Only public and private school students have course requirements.

That is great news!!! She can take Intermediate Alg this year at the local CC. She will be a music major so higher maths are not a must have. If she does not take Geometry could she study for math portion on SAT and score well if she is also solid in Algebra?

My son took geometry before taking the SAT, but I am not sure how heavy those topics are on the test.

Have her take a practice SAT and ACT to see which one she does better on, then use Khan for practice on shaky topics. 

1 hour ago, CinV said:

My son took geometry before taking the SAT, but I am not sure how heavy those topics are on the test.

Have her take a practice SAT and ACT to see which one she does better on, then use Khan for practice on shaky topics. 

Great idea thanks!

My favorite math prep resource is ALEKS online. It's $20/month rather than free like Khan, but I think well worth it if you have the money. I find it much quicker than Khan because it does a thorough assessment for whatever course you're enrolled in and then has you work on what you haven't learned or mastered. You can choose from a list of 'ready to learn' topics, but it won't let you choose a topic it hasn't deemed you ready to learn. Or, you can just keep moving down the learning path if you don't want to make choices. 

I personally think it's easier and more reliable than evaluating yourself and deciding what you need to work on (and in what order). Khan has the mastery challenges but that takes longer than just doing an assessment, ime. 

They have both ACT and SAT math prep. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, katilac said:

My favorite math prep resource is ALEKS online. It's $20/month rather than free like Khan, but I think well worth it if you have the money. I find it much quicker than Khan because it does a thorough assessment for whatever course you're enrolled in and then has you work on what you haven't learned or mastered. You can choose from a list of 'ready to learn' topics, but it won't let you choose a topic it hasn't deemed you ready to learn. Or, you can just keep moving down the learning path if you don't want to make choices. 

I personally think it's easier and more reliable than evaluating yourself and deciding what you need to work on (and in what order). Khan has the mastery challenges but that takes longer than just doing an assessment, ime. 

They have both ACT and SAT math prep. 

I was looking at this one and it seems like exactly what she needs but the reviews online weren’t very good. I will have to give it a second look now. 

10 minutes ago, thowell said:

I was looking at this one and it seems like exactly what she needs but the reviews online weren’t very good. I will have to give it a second look now. 

It has its shortcomings as a full-fledged math program compared to a thorough hands-on class (although I did use it that way for the bulk of a couple of courses). But, for me, test prep is not when I am concerned about building background knowledge or grasping conceptual nuances. It's reviewing and filling in gaps in the most efficient way. 

I also like it for students who are behind in math. And, if someone is looking for git-r-done math, I like it far better than most git-r-done textbooks.