Menu

Has anyone used A History of Us with the Oxford University Press guides?

I'm having second thoughts about All About History for my 7th grader. She wasn't wowed by Notgrass From Adam to Us, so I don't want to trot down that path for American history. Has anyone used A History of Us with the Oxford University Press guides? If so, what are your thoughts on them? And, does anyone know where I can find a really good preview for any of them? All I can find are the one-page previews at Rainbow Resource.

We didn't use the guides, but History of Us was a big hit here! My 2 DS's were in 6th and 8th and they both did it and they still remember things they read in those books 6 years later! We used the 4 volume concise edition not the 10 volume set, which is a lot more manageable in a single school year. Basically they read, we discussed, and they wrote a research paper on a topic of interest. The Oxford guides might be great, I don't know, but they certainly aren't necessary.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered a used copy of one of the teaching guides (elementary version, 3rd edition) so I could gain a better understanding of what the guides offer. I'm confused. I don't see answers to the worksheets from the student guide in it? Are no answers provided for the student guides anywhere? That was half the point of me buying the guides. 🙄 The darn things are expensive. Surely, they should include answers to the student guides.

On 7/19/2019 at 9:14 AM, pitterpatter said:

I ordered a used copy of one of the teaching guides (elementary version, 3rd edition) so I could gain a better understanding of what the guides offer. I'm confused. I don't see answers to the worksheets from the student guide in it? Are no answers provided for the student guides anywhere? That was half the point of me buying the guides. 🙄 The darn things are expensive. Surely, they should include answers to the student guides.

I just ordered a bunch of the student study guides, and didn't event think about an answer key! 🤦‍♀️ I just went to the corresponding teacher guide on Amazon, and after going through the whole sample, it looks like the answer key is waaay in the back, after the teacher guide answer key. I'm looking at From Colonies to Country. 

I realize you posted a few days ago, so maybe you've found it anyway. But now I have to decide if it's worth tracking down the teacher guides too...

This is what I thought too from the Amazon samples. I have From Colonies to Country (for elementary) as well. The answers in the back are only for the extra activities in the teacher's guide unless I'm missing something. 😒 (Hoping I am.)

19 hours ago, Zuzu822 said:

I just ordered a bunch of the student study guides, and didn't event think about an answer key! 🤦‍♀️ I just went to the corresponding teacher guide on Amazon, and after going through the whole sample, it looks like the answer key is waaay in the back, after the teacher guide answer key. I'm looking at From Colonies to Country. 

I realize you posted a few days ago, so maybe you've found it anyway. But now I have to decide if it's worth tracking down the teacher guides too...

8 minutes ago, pitterpatter said:

This is what I thought too from the Amazon samples. I have From Colonies to Country (for elementary) as well. The answers in the back are only for the extra activities in the teacher's guide unless I'm missing something. 😒 (Hoping I am.)

Do the ISBNs match? Another thought: are you looking at the middle/high teacher guide? Of course, it's also entirely possible the Amazon sample is from a different edition. I was able to match questions/answers from my guide to the sample, but what you have in your hand could be totally different! What a pain! 😞 

ETA: Forgot to say I have the older student guides so maybe the elementary guides don't include the answer key at all. In which case, WHY?!?

Edited by Zuzu822