Menu

Singapore Math Approach for a Weak Math Student

AmyBeth

Is there a way to give a student who is weak in math the benefit of the Singapore math approach? Looking over samples, I really appreciate much that is practical and visual about this approach. I also greatly appreciate the approach to thinking skills. I understand that some of the materials move more at the pace of a student who is natural and quick at math. I understand that for some materials, it might be necessary to use supplemental books to give more practice. Cost is an important factor to me, and using multiple books is more expensive. 

So what I am asking: I have a beginning fifth grader who has been using a traditional program with a spiral approach. We are building on a foundation that is not sturdy, so to speak, and I realize that we need to go back and remediate. She needs to learn her multiplication tables. She also does poorly on math assignments. I believe that, were we to switch to a Singapore program, we could likely be set back as far as second grade. I gave a pretest for Math in Focus 3A, and she said it was too hard and wished to do the next test down.

However, it looks from a sample I have seen that Math in Focus does a good job of laying out a concept in a visual way, not merely a verbal explanation or numerical formula. I believe this could be helpful. Yet going back into second grade would mean that the bit of ground we have been able to gain in multiplication, division, and working with fractions, might not be reviewed for a while, as we are instead working to build up basic problem solving skills. (I am not sure what the scope and sequence is, but it is probably quite different.)

My idea was to use something like Math Mammoth (for which she places at Third Grade), and then use Math in Focus textbooks maybe starting at 2B as enrichment, to give a more visual aspect to the program and to help me learn something about how the Singapore Approach works, since I obviously was not trained this way. I do not feel I am "natural" at teaching math, such as improvising beyond what is in the curriculum I have. Sadly, but it is not my strong point.

Does this sound workable to you, or is there a better way? I do feel a need to curtail costs, and I realize there may be some excellent math programs that are on the high end of the cost spectrum, but I really would not choose one of those. That may help as you give me your suggestions. Thank you!

MMS, I just want to thank you for the effort you put into that very helpful reply! I really appreciate your suggestions. I do like Math Mammoth because I would print out the needed sections, work for mastery, then move on, omitting what she is already good at. And that is a point about juggling different books--I have two younger children and lots to do! I will look into some of the resources you recommended.

With our math struggler, in 5th grade we used a spine math (MUS), and then used excerpts of Singapore 4A/B for seeing math from a different perspective and to practice the visual "bar" method of problem solving. You might consider backing up and using excerpts of Singapore 3A/B if your student is really struggling. That is the year where the "bar" method is introduced, so it's a good place to jump in. The key here is to make sure that whatever level of Singapore you go with as a supplement to your spine math, that it is mostly a review and that your student will have much success with using it -- hence, going with 1-2 levels of Singapore below the level of math the student is using as a spine for learning the new math topics.

Side note: Math Mammoth and Singapore do both come from a similar "Asian approach" to math, so as previous poster mentions, you may only need one or the other. You might look in to Math U See -- very visual and hands-on approach, plus short video lessons that you and DD can watch together, which can shorten the amount of 1-on-1 time your DD needs with you for math. Just a thought! 

BEST of luck in finding what is a great fit for math for DD and for you! Warmest regards, Lori D.

We used MIF through Course 1. 

Fortunately, it is less expensive now because you can buy materials used. For the lower grades you really just need the workbook and the text. I did use the extra practice workbook sometimes when I felt we needed a little more.

In your case, I would suggest visiting the HmH website and "sampling" the Level 2A and 2B teacher and student books so you can get an idea of scope and sequence.  IF you decide to go with MIF, that will really help you know where to start.   You have to register (it's free) but you can access all the levels with this and it's very helpful.  http://samples.hmhco.com/math_in_focus/index.php  (ETA: it looks like they updated the site and even I need to re-register).

One of the skills MIF works on a lot is bar models. You can do some basic googling to learn how to use and teach that skill.  😃 

Edited by cintinative

I would not switch to MiF for the situation you describe.  You might end up causing more lack of confidence by going back so many grade levels and confusion bc of the way information is presented.  (I think stating it is more visual is an oversimplification of the methodology and if you yourself are not a confident math teacher, it might just lead to frustration.)

I second the idea of MM topic books or MUS's.  Instead of trying to do all of that along with MIF, I would look at HOE Verbal Problems.  They are similar to SM type word problems, use manipulatives to set up an solve (with complete solutions manual so you can see how to help them set up the problems), and have 3 different levels of difficulty.  THe key difference is that they are working toward setting up problems algebraically vs. bar method.

• Like 1

On 7/4/2019 at 7:46 AM, AmyBeth said:

...She needs to learn her multiplication tables...

For math facts, you might make your own triangle flash cards which visually shows "math families" and connections between 3 numbers (4 math facts), so it reduces amount of memorization to just 1/4 of traditional math facts. (A triangle shaped flashcard has one number in each of the 3 corners and allows the student to see the multiple connections between the 3 numbers, both multiplying and dividing. Example: a card with 6, 7, 42 in the corners covers the math facts of 6x7=42  /  7x6=42  /  42/6=7  /  42/7=6 .

Another possible idea: skip count songs and Schoolhouse Rock for multiplication facts. Or if your student is a very visual learner, then very short goofy stories attached to a math fact that is embedded in a cartoon picture can work very well -- that is the premise of Times Tables the Fun Way (or Times Tales).

One last approach is to simply give your student a multiplication table, and over time as she repeatedly looks up facts she begins to memorize them.

Some people find it impossible to memorize math facts, so if you can provide other strategies, such as skip count songs or a multiplication table or "multiplication tricks", the student can keep moving forward in math even if the student is never able to memorize math facts.

...She also does poorly on math assignments...

You're probably already doing this, but she might be needing more 1-on-1 of you right there as she does the assignments to tutor her through them, or give her helpful prompts to get her started on "how do we do this type of problem"...

...Cost is an important factor to me, and using multiple books is more expensive. ... I realize there may be some excellent math programs that are on the high end of the cost spectrum, but I really would not choose one of those...

I *totally* understand having to homeschool on a budget, but sometimes it is the more pricey curriculum that works well for a student who struggles heavily with a particular subject. I speak from my experiences with DS#2 with some LDs which meant having to use specific programs and methods to have success with Math, Writing, and Spelling. sigh.

I tried to change my focus and think of how education is an investment in my child's future, and that sometimes spending a little more than I had planned for *this* school year to help my student over a hurdle *now*, would mean a more solid foundation -- and more confidence-building for the student --for overall better success with the math (or whatever subject) when that subject gets harder *later*, in middle school, and then again in high school. Just my experience and thoughts with our DS#2, so YMMV! (:D

MUS is more expensive -- but it is often available used for a lower cost. You might also see if a homeschooler in your area uses it and borrow it to see if MUS is a good fit for your student.

BEST of luck in finding what fits best for your DD, and for you, and for your budget. Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.

There is an online Singapore math teacher training class offered through many colleges. It is relatively inexpensive , and it would be fairly easy to use the methodologies with another method without having to necessarily throw away the wheel and start over. Singapore is more visual, but the biggest part of the lesson happens off the book, which isn’t  necessarily apparent on the page.

I can't say what I'd do in your situation, but one thing that you might want to know about Singapore is that it introduces concepts like multiplication and fractions early but only does a little bit of it.  My younger is starting Singapore 6 this year so it's been a while, but my remembrance is that there was multiplication and division in level 2, but it only did a couple of numbers - I think the 2s, 3s, and maybe 5s?  Anyway, what it did was have the kids learn only a few of the times tables each year, so that by the time that they got to the 'tricky' 6, 7, and 8 tables all they were learning was 6x6, 6x7, 6x8,, etc, since they already knew the 2s, 3,s etc and 2x8 is the same as 8x2.  The method of teaching is different - for some kids it's probably more logical and for others more confusing.