Menu

Schools with Strong Classics/Latin Programs

Mom0012

My dd is still figuring out what path she would like to take career-wise, but she knows that she definitely wants to continue with her Latin studies. All of the more selective/expensive schools she is applying to offer strong programs in this area. But, UAH, which she was planning to apply to as a financial and academic safety doesn’t even seem to offer Latin. There’s also a state school that we have on our list as a safety that does have Latin, but it doesn’t look great for her level of interest.

Any suggestions for schools that would be safeties for a student with high stats that offer strong classics programs? We are in Virginia. She’d like to stay in the eastern half of the country.

Also, what schools have the *best* Latin departments, just so we can look and explore?

Edited by Mom0012

Take a look at the member institutions link for the Intercollegiate Center for Classical Studies. My daughter, who has a Classics degree with a specialty in Latin, spent a semester abroad in Rome with ICCS several years ago. It's a rigorous program that attracts some of the best undergraduates in Classics in the US every year. You can see from the listing that the feeder colleges encompass all levels of selectivity. Maybe it'll give you an idea or two?

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Lawyer&Mom said:

How about a global ranking?  If you really want to daydream?  Includes some US schools too.

https://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings-articles/university-subject-rankings/top-universities-classics-ancient-history-2018

6 minutes ago, Kathy in Richmond said:

Take a look at the member institutions link for the Intercollegiate Center for Classical Studies. My daughter, who has a Classics degree with a specialty in Latin, spent a semester abroad in Rome with ICCS several years ago. It's a rigorous program that attracts some of the best undergraduates in Classics in the US every year. You can see from the listing that the feeder colleges encompass all levels of selectivity. Maybe it'll give you an idea or two?

Thank you!  That should keep me busy for awhile.🙂

6 hours ago, mom1720 said:

Whether they're safeties or affordable, I can't tell you, but most Catholic colleges and universities will be strong in classics and have robust Latin offerings.

That is something I’ve started to realize and my dd is interested in attending a Catholic university and learning more about the religion, so that’s an added plus. Thank you!

13 minutes ago, mms said:

University of Kentucky has a good classics department with a particular focus on reviving spoken Latin and Greek.  DH participated in their summer immersion Latin program and it was fantastic.  The head of the department is Terence Tunburg, author of Latin for the New Millenium.  The program is certainly at least on the international classical world radar because last year a group of European scholars chose UK as the site of their yearly conference, the first time in something like 50 years that it had been held state-side.

UK has, in the past at least, also offered some pretty generous aid for out of state students, not sure what the situation is now on admission-based scholarships.  Plus, she'd still technically be in the Commonwealth 🙂 

Thank you! I will take a look.

ETA: Lol, all the info about the convention is in Latin. I will have my dd take a look at that when she gets back home. Something tells me she may be doing this next summer if they offer it again.

Edited by Mom0012

3 minutes ago, mms said:

Every summer: one for Latin and one for Greek 🙂 And compared to similar programs, the price is very affordable.  The spots fill up pretty fast so she will want to register before January for summer 2020.

Thank you!